RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Herb Ritts style help

Old 02-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Patron

Re: Herb Ritts style help

Well was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt

Basically you have three main posts here where you have done nothing but argue and become abusive to others

Prove that you are not just trolling by following the request to post your own

PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

I will feed you no more
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Well was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt

Basically you have three main posts here where you have done nothing but argue and become abusive to others

Prove that you are not just trolling by following the request to post your own

PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

I will feed you no more
You are the one who is trolling in here getting hung up on something completely irrelevant to what I'm actually asking, and why would you need to see my work?? but fine, if you insist:

This is MY black and white retouching the way I've always done it, just transform into grayscale and get the levels under 5% for whites and under 95% for blacks, on top of that I have used the high frequency tutorial found on fstopper, and I used to use others like the dodge and burn and the surface blur which have flat out stopped working, I do not know why. These techniques are a problem to me because you can't liquify and you can't re-adjust tones and many other things once you've applied them, I've tried looking online for tutorials on the proper order for retouching, again, to no avail, it seems nobody talks about this, but here it is:

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...60650397_o.jpg

This is another way to do black and white that I used: http://www.blackandwhitedigital.com/...ty/gorman.html

Automatically there is a change in tones, it ruined the picture for me because I prefer these tones but the retouching was better on the first, but then the first has a weird shadow grain that this one doesn't have:

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...69600941_o.jpg

At the end of the day neither of them look fine art or anywhere near what I want them to look like.

Now I'm sure you'll return with the useless point of "oh it's not the same lighting as the herb ritts one" except if you go to the red channel and take it away the skin on my picture becomes as dark as the one on tony ward, it looks horrific of course but there is a way to do this, but it's apparently a secret that nobody knows or can learn unless you are herb ritts or work at Vogue, go figure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2016, 05:11 PM

One simple thing I notice about Herb Ritts b&w images is they have a slight warm tone compared to your own example...... secondly, I think Tony Ward has naturally dark skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
One simple thing I notice about Herb Ritts b&w images is they have a slight warm tone compared to your own example...... secondly, I think Tony Ward has naturally dark skin.
My subject is much darker than Tony Ward, by at least two shades or more, his skin tone on the herb ritts picture is not his actual skin tone, I don't think it's even his skin tone with a tan, that was done deliberately in post processing and that's what I would like to learn, but fine art retouching is a more guarded secret than kentucky fried chicken's recipe it seems. I even went to school for this, I learned sh*t, my pictures still don't look like Vogue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2016, 07:39 PM

It's called DNB. Can you paint a photo realistic face? Can you paint it in any style? That is what photoshop(and everything else from 3d modeling to video color grading) is all about. Manual labor. DNB is shading. Painting is painting, painting with color is painting with color... all the simplest of tools.

Do you think that everyone that has a mic is David Bowie? No, it takes years of hard work. And if you don't enjoy the process, then this isn't for you. Even the greatest artists are continuously developing their skills.

Great news for you is that you can just pay someone to retouch the files(presuming you can actually shoot them properly and explain the changes to a retoucher).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
It's called DNB. Can you paint a photo realistic face? Can you paint it in any style? That is what photoshop(and everything else from 3d modeling to video color grading) is all about. Manual labor. DNB is shading. Painting is painting, painting with color is painting with color... all the simplest of tools.

Do you think that everyone that has a mic is David Bowie? No, it takes years of hard work. And if you don't enjoy the process, then this isn't for you. Even the greatest artists are continuously developing their skills.

Great news for you is that you can just pay someone to retouch the files(presuming you can actually shoot them properly and explain the changes to a retoucher).
You have some serious audacity, and utterly erroneous views. And it is NOT dodge and burn. I thought this place was supposed to be of people who actually knew something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2016, 11:42 PM

Personally I've always favoured the two hue/sat adjustment layers method. Combined with layer masks it allows you to choose precisely the tone you want for every small part of the image. Simply (if you don't already know it):

1. Add hue/sat adj layer. Change blend mode to Color.
2. Add a second hue/sat layer. Desaturate.
3. Adjust the first (Color) layer colour slider. You'll see the bw tones changing.
4. Mask and repeat as necessary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko60 View Post
Personally I've always favoured the two hue/sat adjustment layers method. Combined with layer masks it allows you to choose precisely the tone you want for every small part of the image. Simply (if you don't already know it):

1. Add hue/sat adj layer. Change blend mode to Color.
2. Add a second hue/sat layer. Desaturate.
3. Adjust the first (Color) layer colour slider. You'll see the bw tones changing.
4. Mask and repeat as necessary.
Thank you, what do you mean by mask? I don't understand much about masks, is it just a layer mask? Do you convert to black and white when the process is done? I don't know, I was taught to always convert to black and white so that it is true black and white, don't know if that is wrong.

Where in the process does this fit in? When you retouch an image, usually what is your working order?? Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
You have some serious audacity, and utterly erroneous views. And it is NOT dodge and burn. I thought this place was supposed to be of people who actually knew something.
It's not DNB? What could it be? Magic?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
My subject is much darker than Tony Ward, by at least two shades or more, his skin tone on the herb ritts picture is not his actual skin tone, I don't think it's even his skin tone with a tan, that was done deliberately in post processing and that's what I would like to learn, but fine art retouching is a more guarded secret than kentucky fried chicken's recipe it seems. I even went to school for this, I learned sh*t, my pictures still don't look like Vogue.
You're thinking of a recipe. No one that is an expert in any field sticks to a recipe. They are usually paid for their judgement and attention to detail. Otherwise they would be replaceable.

I've posted a reasonable way to deal with skintone color changes. Just remember that a deeper tan is typically accompanied by a higher level of contrast. The difference between brighter and darker spots will be magnified. It's really something you would want to do through makeup as much as possible, because it's quite difficult to make fake skin highlights look plausible.

I think it's easier to achieve plausible results starting with channel mixer than something else, then going from there. You will have to mask the skin. If other things look as you expect them to and the skin just feels off, you don't want to adjust the rest of your image with it (or at least not as much).

That said I too would have an axe to grind if I dumped a lot of money into art college with very little knowledge gained from it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching