RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Herb Ritts style help

Old 03-01-2016, 04:19 AM
Patron

Re: Herb Ritts style help

Kiev, skoobey, I wonder why you are still feeding it?

FYI the original post of the model was shot on film in the 80's. Probably Mamiya 6x7 150mm lens. To get skin that dark apart from the mans natural dark tones probably used a blue filter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2016, 08:58 AM

Good point. Moving on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko60 View Post
Personally I've always favoured the two hue/sat adjustment layers method. Combined with layer masks it allows you to choose precisely the tone you want for every small part of the image. Simply (if you don't already know it):

1. Add hue/sat adj layer. Change blend mode to Color.
2. Add a second hue/sat layer. Desaturate.
3. Adjust the first (Color) layer colour slider. You'll see the bw tones changing.
4. Mask and repeat as necessary.
Thats a new technique to me. Its a good one. Thanks!

--shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
Thats a new technique to me. Its a good one. Thanks!

--shift studio.
This has been around for ever, also useful for getting rid of moire.

Only thing you do it in reverse, first hue sat you slide hue/sat blend to normal, and the one on top is set to color and saturation set to minimum.

Also, alternate thing (but not leading to B&W is to just set the hue/sat to luminosity and adjust tones on a single layer.

Last edited by skoobey; 03-01-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Kiev, skoobey, I wonder why you are still feeding it?

FYI the original post of the model was shot on film in the 80's. Probably Mamiya 6x7 150mm lens. To get skin that dark apart from the mans natural dark tones probably used a blue filter.
That's what I'd like to find out but haven't found out yet, using the channel mixer I don't get good results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko60 View Post
Personally I've always favoured the two hue/sat adjustment layers method. Combined with layer masks it allows you to choose precisely the tone you want for every small part of the image. Simply (if you don't already know it):

1. Add hue/sat adj layer. Change blend mode to Color.
2. Add a second hue/sat layer. Desaturate.
3. Adjust the first (Color) layer colour slider. You'll see the bw tones changing.
4. Mask and repeat as necessary.
This technique adds some really weird grain and smudginess that I don't get when I convert to gray and adjust with curves, do you have any advice?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
That's what I'd like to find out but haven't found out yet, using the channel mixer I don't get good results.
If you focus too much on the details right away, you lose a lot of opportunity. Eyes or a particularly nice shadow may have received special treatment. You can't base your adjustments for the entire thing on making them look a certain way, because you'll lose the rest of the image.

My only suggestion in terms of toolsets is that you learn to mask really really well. No matter what else you do, you will end up masking the skintone if you want it look like that like that first image using modern digital processes. You will probably also have to adjust the brightness of some of those individual shadow regions to get a similar look.

It doesn't matter whether they did the original image that way. It's the most practical way to achieve that today. This is especially true if you are low on resources for makeup, lack access to a darkroom, and do not want to deal with refining a film and development process with a specific lab and many many clip tests just to get things right.

If someone showed me this image as a reference, I would consider relative brightness. Skin has bright highlights. White shirt has detail. Background is light grey but distinct from the shirt. I couldn't guarantee everything would work out without the use of 1-2 masks to get the right balance. I would probably end up using channel mixer and desaturation to get the skin just right. I might use some combination of curves and brightness contrast for the other elements. Detailing like the shadows would just use additional layers and more masks. If something becomes redundant or complicated, I look for ways to simplify the layer stack.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2016, 11:08 AM

Sorry but this thread is a non-sense for me... (maybe a troll)

blohan ask how to archive a result with photoshop?

So I ask how to archive a similar result like this photo:
http://www.herbritts.com/wp-content/...1-931x1200.jpg

the answer is clear, get a very good camera and lens, a masterly use of lights, a skilled photographer and off course Naomi Campbell and maybe u get the result you want in photoshop.

But if you use a blurred photo of a children, taken while walking and eating a sandwich.... it is quite hard to get close to the result of the Herb Ritts photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbox View Post
Sorry but this thread is a non-sense for me... (maybe a troll)

blohan ask how to archive a result with photoshop?

So I ask how to archive a similar result like this photo:
http://www.herbritts.com/wp-content/...1-931x1200.jpg

the answer is clear, get a very good camera and lens, a masterly use of lights, a skilled photographer and off course Naomi Campbell and maybe u get the result you want in photoshop.

But if you use a blurred photo of a children, taken while walking and eating a sandwich.... it is quite hard to get close to the result of the Herb Ritts photo

Spot on....thanks for simplifying this discussion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
If you focus too much on the details right away, you lose a lot of opportunity. Eyes or a particularly nice shadow may have received special treatment. You can't base your adjustments for the entire thing on making them look a certain way, because you'll lose the rest of the image.

My only suggestion in terms of toolsets is that you learn to mask really really well. No matter what else you do, you will end up masking the skintone if you want it look like that like that first image using modern digital processes. You will probably also have to adjust the brightness of some of those individual shadow regions to get a similar look.

It doesn't matter whether they did the original image that way. It's the most practical way to achieve that today. This is especially true if you are low on resources for makeup, lack access to a darkroom, and do not want to deal with refining a film and development process with a specific lab and many many clip tests just to get things right.

If someone showed me this image as a reference, I would consider relative brightness. Skin has bright highlights. White shirt has detail. Background is light grey but distinct from the shirt. I couldn't guarantee everything would work out without the use of 1-2 masks to get the right balance. I would probably end up using channel mixer and desaturation to get the skin just right. I might use some combination of curves and brightness contrast for the other elements. Detailing like the shadows would just use additional layers and more masks. If something becomes redundant or complicated, I look for ways to simplify the layer stack.
how do you properly mask? Or isolate the skin tone? I discovered in a luminosity mask tutorial how to select the brightness and invert, don't know if that's what you mean.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching