RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Herb Ritts style help

Old 03-04-2016, 02:12 AM

Re: Herb Ritts style help

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
I don't really agree with that assessment, but I guess it isn't terribly important with respect to your goals.

The color correction makes this a good example for my earlier comments. You can see the juxtaposition in the Vanity Fair cover between the skintone and the color palette of the background. That is typically done with masking, because it's difficult to get one just right without impacting the other. Skin is one of the things I would more frequently mask out in this kind of shot, especially if the background was to be changed to a greener tone like that one.

That should probably be in past tense in my case. I haven't done this stuff in a while. I try to start with either the largest objects or the most distracting issues. With color I'll try to get an idea of global color, then move onto skintone, eyes and makeup, and clothing. I used reference for things, and I referred back to the original image trying to ensure I didn't deviate from the intended makeup palette.

I expect some of this will be confusing until you gain some level of comfort trying it out on your own. If you can make a good mask, you'll be able to achieve decent skin or background color correction. If you overdo it, it may look weird. It may also look weird if you leave other elements completely unadjusted.
Interesting, while I was retouching the image I had that same problem, couldn't get the green tone right in either of them, background or skin lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 AM

That is why you do it manually. Make a curve, and then slowly paint in a mask, just like you would for DNB, affecting color this time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2016, 08:38 AM

I get the sense from this thread that you really want the answer to this style, but haven't really learned Photoshop yet. Masking is the first thing any retoucher/photoshop user should learn.

Alternatively if you right click on Surface Blur in the filters pallet you get this dialogue, which might be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 15.24.37 copy.png (62.2 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
Interesting, while I was retouching the image I had that same problem, couldn't get the green tone right in either of them, background or skin lol.
Yeah. That is to be expected. I wouldn't be able to consistently achieve that combination of background and skintone without masking, especially not across multiple images that might be selected from a given shoot.

It's not trivial to learn to mask well, but it's probably the most important fundamental skill.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2016, 02:10 PM

Well, if you really wish to get close enough to this example - buy a proper old school film camera and use B&W film =)

And perhaps you should goooogle "Ansel Adams" & "zone system" ... it will take you years of practicing to get near to this point for sure =)

And here is the bonus - "Irwing Penn" & "Platinum/Palladium Print"

Good luck =)

Regards, Filip

Edit - I didn't release there are so many pages - I just commented on the first one =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
I get the sense from this thread that you really want the answer to this style, but haven't really learned Photoshop yet. Masking is the first thing any retoucher/photoshop user should learn.

Alternatively if you right click on Surface Blur in the filters pallet you get this dialogue, which might be helpful.
Thanks, that's exactly it, I do know photoshop and have used it for years I just have never been taught properly. I don't know how to mask, I've looked on google several times and I can't find anything that's helpful to re-educate myself. I'm specifically after a fine art style, and I just couldn't find anything. The most I found was how to do luminosity masks, which I did, but I have no idea how to incorporate them into a retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
Well, if you really wish to get close enough to this example - buy a proper old school film camera and use B&W film =)

And perhaps you should goooogle "Ansel Adams" & "zone system" ... it will take you years of practicing to get near to this point for sure =)

And here is the bonus - "Irwing Penn" & "Platinum/Palladium Print"

Good luck =)

Regards, Filip

Edit - I didn't release there are so many pages - I just commented on the first one =)
Thank you, I used to shoot in black and white film.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blohan View Post
Thanks, that's exactly it, I do know photoshop and have used it for years I just have never been taught properly. I don't know how to mask, I've looked on google several times and I can't find anything that's helpful to re-educate myself. I'm specifically after a fine art style, and I just couldn't find anything. The most I found was how to do luminosity masks, which I did, but I have no idea how to incorporate them into a retouching.

A good place to start is the book Masking and Selections by Katrin Eisman, it is OLD, but what she teaches is still true.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
A good place to start is the book Masking and Selections by Katrin Eisman, it is OLD, but what she teaches is still true.
I suggested her, too. There are many steps I do on my masks every day, but here are some things: use brush to draw the mask or follow along edges, magic wand, then feather, median filter, gaussin blur filter on mask, stamp tool on mask, pen tool to define geometry or to get a clean edge, use the refine edge option on mask, expand, contract, lasso, polygonal lasso, magnetic lasso.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
use the refine edge option on mask, expand, contract, lasso, polygonal lasso, magnetic lasso.
Don't you ever quickmask an outline?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching