RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Blending skin tones, Help please!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:58 AM

Re: Blending skin tones, Help please!

Please excuse my late reply, I've been thoroughly looking at the PSD and have been trying to work out how you have done certain things.

And yes, I totally understand it would be beneficial to post here, so I will not PM you.

I have a few questions in regard to the PSD, if you wouldn't mind answering

1. I see you have made 2 'DNB' groups, can you tell me why you would do the dodge and burn in two sections and also what is the difference between the first and the second group. I can see on the in the second dnb group, you have applied it heavier, how did you do this?

(For me, It seems to get to a point where I cannot apply anymore dodge or burn after doing multiple strokes in the same area, this is confusing.)

2. why do you have 1 burn layer and 2 dogge layers in the dnb groups?

3. How on earth did you do the eyelash? as in make is longer as the stone is in the way and it has been a nightmare so I gave up, I wish I knew!!

4. I can see you have totally fixed the skin tone that I was having massive issues with, I also see you used dnb, why would you use dnb over the gradient map for skin tones?

P.S... I have managed to learn DnB since I was last here, it works to an extent, I wonder what I am doing wrong......

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM

My question is about the help layers; do you use desaturate, multiply(1), screen(1) and treshold all altogether and then add multiply(2) + screen(2) to add the contrast and help visualize the problematic areas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 PM

Thumbs up Re: Blending skin tones, Help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaLeigh View Post
1. I see you have made 2 'DNB' groups, can you tell me why you would do the dodge and burn in two sections and also what is the difference between the first and the second group. I can see on the in the second dnb group, you have applied it heavier, how did you do this?
I make multiple layers because I want to be able to edit later. If I did all the dodging on layer, I wouldn't be able to simply lower the opacity for that part of the image. I have an action for the group, so that's why there are TWO groups, it can be one, same thing. I also tend to have one group for blending things(fixing and local work, small brush) and another is for a certain type of effect or more global adjustment. This way I can affect the global without affecting the local and vice versa.

(For me, It seems to get to a point where I cannot apply anymore dodge or burn after doing multiple strokes in the same area, this is confusing.)[/QUOTE]
Yes, one more reason why I have multiple dodge curves for example. They max out at a certain point, and if you push them all the way they clip, or are way too harsh, so I just make a couple.

Quote:
2. why do you have 1 burn layer and 2 dogge layers in the dnb groups?
Wanted to be able to go back, and in general I wished to make things lighter.

Quote:
3. How on earth did you do the eyelash? as in make is longer as the stone is in the way and it has been a nightmare so I gave up, I wish I knew!!
I cloned from the bit where there were no stone, and painted the ends in, basically drew a couple of lashes. Zoom in, they are obviously painted, I tried to make it look "plausable".

Quote:
4. I can see you have totally fixed the skin tone that I was having massive issues with, I also see you used dnb, why would you use dnb over the gradient map for skin tones?
I have discussed this before in another thread. Because gradient map replaces the existing color with new, and curves just push the tones(or color, or both). Color was mostly good, so I didn't feel the need to replace. Also, I think you are referring to color. Tone is how light something is, and other 2 properties of color are hue and saturation. Also, I played with the file a bit more after I posted, so color is blended a tad better now, but it's okay as seen in PSD I posted as well, I guess.

Quote:
P.S... I have managed to learn DnB since I was last here, it works to an extent, I wonder what I am doing wrong......
To answer that, you would need to post your progress. There are really no hidden steps in my psd, so you can try to emulate, and you'll learn along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
My question is about the help layers; do you use desaturate, multiply(1), screen(1) and treshold all altogether and then add multiply(2) + screen(2) to add the contrast and help visualize the problematic areas?

Thanks
I use desat+screen(one or more screens. Same for multiply. I don't combine screen and multiply, that would defeat the point. I use the linear curve one(on top to clip things/see where the shape is, do a radical check on the tone transitions). So everything is combined with desat, or the same kind, but not with other layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2016, 10:05 AM

Thanks very much for your help scooby, May I ask how to attach my PSD?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2016, 12:17 PM

I can tell you what I did. Posted the PSD on dropbox, then clicked share, and copied that link using the little globe iconcreatelink.gif, and just pasted the address into the window that pops up
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2016, 04:29 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jx7x9pwq9i...vered.psd?dl=0
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
I can tell you what I did. Posted the PSD on dropbox, then clicked share, and copied that link using the little globe iconAttachment 95670, and just pasted the address into the window that pops up
Thanks, I hope I've done it correctly
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2016, 09:16 AM

First thing I noticed is that you are using a 75% hard brush for your DNB. It's hard to blend when you use a sharp pencil, same goes for Photoshop. Try with a 0% hardness for your brush.

I don't want to go into debate over freq separation usage, but why is it on top? I find it useful for cloning, so they are among the first layers, right after larger clean up and liquify?

Fingers/nails definitely need more work, and same goes for the hair (which I haven't touched either, but I probably would if I were retouching the image for a client).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 AM

Thank you for your feedback Skooby.
I feel like the main problem I am having is getting the skin colours to blend. I seem to be dodging and burning and not getting anywhere on fixing patchy skin colours. It's a nightmare, Still feel like I'm at square 1.

I don't understand, I've been working on that image for weeks and am nowhere near to getting your results (of course I know it takes time but I am seriously unhappy with my results)
You did it in what.. a few hours?

I just don't get it...

May I ask how you sort of know when to stop with the dnb?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
It's a nightmare, Still feel like I'm at square 1.
You're not, You've got the reference, and if you've got a version you've done before you've gotten advice, and now, I think there would be at least some progress.

Quote:
I don't understand, I've been working on that image for weeks and am nowhere near to getting your results (of course I know it takes time but I am seriously unhappy with my results)
You did it in what.. a few hours?
Almost 2, but it I wasn't rushing it(nor should you ever), but it really needs at least 2 more hours for the hair, more color blending, and some global DNB to give it dimension(mostly hair work, really, as it requires a reconstruct).

Also, take notice that liquify makes a HUGE difference, as beauty images require distinct proportion of the face(not that I'm the authority on the matter, but you know, you expect some features and not others after looking at so manny beauty images, and depending on the lens/angle you might have to do liquify on some images of the series, and none on others, even though it's the same model and light).

Quote:
May I ask how you sort of know when to stop with the dnb?
There are two things you can achieve with dnb.
1.Clean up. Making everything even, and reduce or remove distractions. That is what I did. If it looks even, and nothing is bothering you, DNB is done. Don't be fooled by color, so look at the image with hue/sat set to -100 saturation and blended to color put on top of all the layer(first one in my help group).
2.Create a new atmosphere/look/palette. This is something you can do at the same time as clean up, but I often do it in two steps. Some call this shading or carving. You can have very good results even without this additional craziness.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching