Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Blending skin tones, Help please!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 AM
Re: Blending skin tones, Help please!

There are two things you can achieve with dnb.
1.Clean up. Making everything even, and reduce or remove distractions. That is what I did. If it looks even, and nothing is bothering you, DNB is done. Don't be fooled by color, so look at the image with hue/sat set to -100 saturation and blended to color put on top of all the layer(first one in my help group).
2.Create a new atmosphere/look/palette. This is something you can do at the same time as clean up, but I often do it in two steps. Some call this shading or carving. You can have very good results even without this additional craziness.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that, I must admit the instruction here, I didn't get it at all
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 AM

In the following images (this and this) I can clearly identify the brushes the painter used to suggest the skin tones and that made me wonder; can one pull off his own dnb style from traditional art forms such as illustration, drawing and painting?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Thumbs up Re: Blending skin tones, Help please!

Originally Posted by LaylaLeigh View Post
Thank you for that, I must admit the instruction here, I didn't get it at all
Think of it like this. What I did in the sample is balance out whats there. "Fix" things, if you will, and that's a sure way to make your images look finished.

But, in fashion and advertising, you often go WAY beyond that when you're aiming for a look. That's what Amy Dresser does(a lot of retouchers do this and other types of illustrative retouching, but she has before/afters on her site that clearly convey the message), check out her before afters

I would suggest you first practice balancing things out before introducing new elements to the composition such as color blocking, enhancing shapes, enhancing details, shadows, highlights, balancing it all out, maybe re-lighting portions of the image etc. I don't think it's a good idea to start aiming for the illustrative effects early on, because people often don't realize when something is enough, not enough, an improvement or not(going back to your question).

Yes, painting applies, of course, it is digital painting using the image as a starting point, tricky bit being that the end result it's supposed to look both real, and surreal at the same time. Own style is often what client wants, as once you can do things reasonably well, you can emulate all of different "styles".
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 PM

here try this. make a merged layer of everything. make a quick square/circle selection of the area you would like your off-tone area to match. Once you get your selection, use the filter>average. It should blend all the colors in that area you selected. Eye drop that area, grab a brush with a 50% opacity(or w/e you're comfortable with, assuming you are using a tablet) and brush over the area you want to match tones, putting more pressure as needed. This will yield you better results then simply just eyedropping a single color in an area. Make sure you're values are the same as well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching