RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Windows 10 Standard color issue

Old 04-20-2016, 03:36 PM
Patron

Re: Windows 10 Standard color issue

You can click and drag to open just the same in Windows.

Just click and hold your image file and drop it onto PS icon or if application open into the app. window.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2016, 03:59 PM

To Tony:I know but you can't do it from the desktop while in PS, as your desktop view is being obstructed by the application frame. Just one of those things that are a habit more then a must have feature.

To OP: I know people that calibrate monitors for a small fee, so you can just find a guy who can do that for you (like in a PC service center, you will need to carry your machine over there). Things change over time, but having colors set in the first place will make your life a lot easier.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testerke View Post
Now Win10 shows different colors. Only PS, LR and chrome show the proper? result. The Win7 even 3rd party applications like xnview show reddish color.
Real simple. Many products are not color managed and don't match those that are (Photoshop, LR and I assume because I don't use it, Chrome). PS and LR are correct; anything that doesn't match isn't.

It's outlined elsewhere so just read this and come back with questions:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57602636
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57615741
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
It's this huge gray box covering the desktop. On a mac, you can turn it off, and just click and drag things to PS to import, but on a pc, you have to minimize the entire program . . .
That's where the term "Windows" comes from. Two different design perspectives.

I use the toolbar to open windows to drag from, not that cumbersome once you get use to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
A well known Windows issue, and the only solution I know of is to use a preview application that can actually display embedded profiles. Also, Chrome is not to be used for color critical work, it's a web browser.

Windows> Engineering
OSX> Graphic work
Things break under OSX as well, and I don't really agree that OSX does a better job at system level color management these days. I've used macs since the G3 era, and they have their own issues. If I stopped using a Mac and could do without Adobe, I would use Linux, probably debian. Windows is annoying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Things break under OSX as well, and I don't really agree that OSX does a better job at system level color management these days.
Other than the fact that all native OSX supplied app's are color managed. Not the case with Windows. So, kind of the definition of 'system level' color management. It's really difficult to find an OS X app that's not color managed (I had to go out of my way to turn off color management in Firefox to illustrate this). Then there's the ColorSync utility. Needs some love, but does provide functionality that AFAIK, isn't part of Windows (good luck renaming an ICC profile internally, printing without color management, locating all ICC profiles, etc; CS utility provides that and more).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2016, 04:36 PM

We've established that by itself Windows doesn't have a color managed picture/image viewer.

Do you guys know of any good programs for previewing PSDs and looking at images in general on a PC?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Other than the fact that all native OSX supplied app's are color managed. Not the case with Windows. So, kind of the definition of 'system level' color management. It's really difficult to find an OS X app that's not color managed (I had to go out of my way to turn off color management in Firefox to illustrate this). Then there's the ColorSync utility. Needs some love, but does provide functionality that AFAIK, isn't part of Windows (good luck renaming an ICC profile internally, printing without color management, locating all ICC profiles, etc; CS utility provides that and more).
That's a fair point. I avoid using Windows if at all possible, so I might have missed some of those details.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2016, 04:43 AM
Patron

Quote:
We've established that by itself Windows doesn't have a color managed picture/image viewer.
No, I have to disagree. What we appear to have established is that at best there is a good deal of confusion still between Mac and PC users, possibly down to the old and very silly prejudices Mac v PC. Exemplified by stating that Windows or Mac doesn't have this, or do this.

Windows does have a colour managed viewer - Windows Photo Viewer! WPV uses the embedded profile in your images. Without an embedded profile sRGB is assumed. However it does not play nicely with ICC v4 profiles you should be using v2. Be aware that i1 Display Pro default setting is v4 so should be changed.

Quote:
Do you guys know of any good programs for previewing PSDs and looking at images in general on a PC?
The best for previewing PSD's has got to be the application itself otherwise why would you need to view a colour managed application on two different colour managed systems?

If you want someone to just view your psd there are several applications, but if you want them to see layer structure I suspect this not supported (maybe wrong as not tried) and the view will appear as a flattened image.
You could try:
IRFANVIEW - http://www.irfanview.com/
PSD Viewer - http://psdviewer.org/
Wenovo PNG PSD Viewer - http://www.wenovo.com/freeware/png-p...r-freeware.php

Otherwise The Gimp (freeware) might be a better idea?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2016, 08:01 AM

Aha! so it's the profile thing. I got that it assumes everything that's not embedded to be sRGB, just like browsers do.
On a Mac you just open PSD with a Preview app(which opens almost anything), and you can even take a look by pressing space. It opens much quicker than PS.

GIMP is a great tool, BTW I would recommend it to everyone, but if you just want a quick look without going into layers, you don't want to wait for gimp top open the file.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching