RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Windows 10 Standard color issue

Old 04-22-2016, 11:58 AM

Re: Windows 10 Standard color issue

Thank you for your help guys!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Windows does have a colour managed viewer - Windows Photo Viewer!
AFAIK, it may be color managed today, it wasn't always color managed. Kind of depends on what version of Windows one is talking about. As for the Mac, it's had native color management support since before OS X.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2016, 01:03 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
AFAIK, it may be color managed today, it wasn't always color managed. Kind of depends on what version of Windows one is talking about. As for the Mac, it's had native color management support since before OS X.
Yes MS has not been as active as they could have been in this area and Mac certainly scores higher with much longer support. I think the improvement started with Win 7 through 8 - 10

I do not for one minute believe that either base particularly trounces the other in any significant way - similar to Nikon v Canon. As a trivial example Windows still does not support 16 bit print pipeline other than through XPS drivers. Even though I understand that in this case it is hard to see if 16 bit is bringing anything to the table it really should be available at least IMO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Yes MS has not been as active as they could have been in this area and Mac certainly scores higher with much longer support. I think the improvement started with Win 7 through 8 - 10
I'd check that. Windows isn't on my radar (I do have one Win laptop I use maybe once a year). From the posts I've seen on the web, people to this day still report issues with "Windows Viewer" but I can't tell you what specific software or version of the OS they refer to. And what about Window's (default?) web browser, Explorer?

Quote:
I do not for one minute believe that either base particularly trounces the other in any significant way - similar to Nikon v Canon.
Well that's the crux of our discussion no? I've outlined what the Mac OS provides that Windows doesn't (just the ColorSync utility alone trounces what Windows doesn't at all provide).

Quote:
As a trivial example Windows still does not support 16 bit print pipeline other than through XPS drivers. Even though I understand that in this case it is hard to see if 16 bit is bringing anything to the table it really should be available at least IMO.
Not really necessary. I've never seen any difference, even under a loupe, sending 16-bits to the various Epson's on the Mac vs. 8-bits per color. And to give Windows some credit, they had a full high bit video path long before the Mac, not that this is specific to color management.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2016, 02:16 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
I'd check that. Windows isn't on my radar (I do have one Win laptop I use maybe once a year). From the posts I've seen on the web, people to this day still report issues with "Windows Viewer" but I can't tell you what specific software or version of the OS they refer to. And what about Window's (default?) web browser, Explorer?
Andrew, as far as I can tell - and remember - Windows Photo Viewer is colour managed in Windows 7 upwards and honours profiles as stated earlier. No profile defaults to sRGB. But I believe although I have never tried to confirm that it does not honour profiles in slideshow - go figure! This is an application I so rarely touch that timescales and implementation of fixes escape me.

As to browsers MS has tried to make Edge default browser over Internet Explorer. If I was to be cynical I would even say that Edge is an attempt to garner data collection and targeted delivery information (Ads tailored for you!). IMO Edge is an immature product with little appeal to savvy users. I do not use either as for a number of years been happy with Firefox.
But from tests I believe that at least with current version IE11 colour management has been implemented.

Quote:
Well that's the crux of our discussion no? I've outlined what the Mac OS provides that Windows doesn't (just the ColorSync utility alone trounces what Windows doesn't at all provide).
Agree, you have certainly played a trump card with this one .

It would be good to see MS improve on colour management implementation and I would suspect that it would not be too difficult to add something like ColorSync as a Windows accessory.

I think it would be a fair summation to say that in Windows colour management is not a centralised part of the OS and needs to be performed by the individual application.

While the Mac route would seem to be better all I can say is that Windows is still very workable although you may have to get your hands dirty delving in and fixing a switch that should be on by default

I need to be careful here reading my posts reminds me of Monty Python and 'what have the Romans done for us
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2016, 04:00 AM

@skoobey: If you have the desk space, get a second monitor, I have two and I can't imagine doing PS without. They make life easy, the additional monitor does not have to be same res as the main one, you can use it for utility work, also, PS recognize two monitor setup and let you move panels and such to the other monitor and only the image you are working on is displayed on the main monitor. Helps a lot with drag and drop since your mouse will move freely between the two monitors. I also mapped the tablet pen and work area to just a portion of the main monitor for precision work and less movement of hand on the tablet surface.

The attachment shows the two monitors, the one on the right is my main, it has PS screen, while the one on the left shows file explorer maximized, easy drag and drop.

My two monitors are identical, but they don't have to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desktop.jpg (78.0 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2016, 11:05 AM

Yeah, that is pretty much a standard set up, although I don't really find myself needing any more surface on a desktop. This, however, does not work if you're using a Windows laptop and can't carry a screen around(not a huge issue anyway).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching