RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

3 color separation repair help -- blotchiness

Old 04-25-2016, 06:26 PM

Unhappy 3 color separation repair help -- blotchiness

Hello and thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

I am repairing a color image created with color separation negatives, 3 black and white images (captured from negatives) combined in RGB channels to create a color image. The original negatives were very badly damaged, so alignment and correction has been quite complicated.

I am finally getting close, but there is still a lot of blotchiness that I am having trouble correcting, from where each of the channels may have been under/over exposed, creating splotchy yellow or magenta, etc. It might look subtle, but in the area I've shown in the photo, for example, the yellow blotchiness really stands out when I go to print.

How can I selectively modify this area!? Any other ideas for filters or way to single out this blotchiness to make adjustments? Traditional retouching with healing brush on all channels is really not helping the color balance, as it moves around the grain but remains splotchy... I also tried hue/saturation but I am not able to isolate the problem areas.

Have spent two weeks working on this image...need help...Thanks so much for any ideas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 4.23.02 PM.jpg (99.2 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2016, 08:06 PM

Re: 3 color separation repair help -- blotchiness

We are talking about the color here, right? For tone blotchiness, you can use DNB. Obviously, this was my general once-over, still requires some going into for specific areas, and either colorizing them ,or making specific adjustments for more or less each one.

All I did were a couple of Hue-sat adjustments targeting specific hues.

3_color_separation_repair_blotchiness.jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 4.23.02 PM.jpg
DOWNLOAD PSD

Last edited by skoobey; 04-25-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2016, 11:59 PM

Do you mean dodge & burn on each color channel? Or are you somehow doing it on a layer in RGB?

The trouble I'm having with dodge & burn on the channels, where its yellow for example, is its so hard to tell where the subtle color shifts are that I keep going back and forth between blue splotches and yellow splotches and whatever I do just does not seem to achieve an even, smooth, consistent tone.

I found it very difficult to use hue adjustments as it did not seem to select the areas I am trying to isolate, and rather selected evenly across the image putting me back where I started.

If you have any other thoughts or could give more specific step by steps, or are indicating to use dodge and burn in a different way, that would be great.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 01:58 AM

Here's 2 versions...one more corrected than the other...used similar to what Scooby suggested...some hsl and then a blank layer set to color and painted on that layer to even out color more.....just played until the color looked better to my eye.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 02:06 AM

That is looking so much better!

But I'll need to recreate this myself...could you be a little more specific about the steps and how you achieved it? What hues did you set to? Blending mode? So you had a blank layer set to color, and you were painting in the color it should be, correct? (Not painting in according to channel Y/B etc...)

A clear step by step or screenshots of what you did would be amazing.

Thank you Wolfman & scoobey!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 12:04 PM

We both did basically the same thing. Made the global adjustments. Wolfman went a step further(and I suggested the very same thing) by making a new layer, settign the blending mode to color, and painting in, making color even(there is no way around it, you have to go in and balance things out locally). Same goes for blotchy tones, you go in, and DNB(not on the each color channel, just go make lighten and darken curves, make the mask black ,the reveal the effect where needed for lightening or darkening, respectively).

You pick color with the eyedropper, maybe adjust them slightly, and paint.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 03:20 PM

Skoobey pretty much described what was done. I started by doing hue & sat layer and lightening and changing hue & sat. of offending colors...then went into adobe camera raw and did more of the same in the hsl section with luminance, sat & hue sliders.....then capped it off with the new blank layer set to color and sampled the proper colors next to the bad colors and painted over the colors that were contaminating the image.....sorry to sound repetitious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 07:01 PM

You guys have been really helpful. I think I have just been staring at it so long that it's hard to see the simple fixes.

Do you have any thoughts on smoothing this out while keeping the grain? I've played a lot with different blur filters and blending modes but having a hard time making anything work..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 4.55.42 PM.jpg (65.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 4.59.00 PM.jpg (58.7 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 07:30 PM

Frequency split, paint between the low and high, and heal on high.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3v3l3na View Post
Do you mean dodge & burn on each color channel? Or are you somehow doing it on a layer in RGB?
I would do it on a layer in RGB. RGB channels are not decorrelated. It's a really bad idea to try to divide that up into 3 one dimensional problems when you lack a decorrelated basis basis for them. Overall though I've seen much worse. Did you already work on this?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching