RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Replacing skin texture or... ?

Old 06-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Re: Replacing skin texture or... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoiree View Post

This is the desired effect I want to achieve! How did u do that? I tried to find skin textures and also stumbled upon this degrunge tutorial http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213 but it seems that I'm still missing something...
Just 3 different size of noise layers. Merged and clipped to High layer. Then curves or Blend if.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
4. Use the microDnB (Curves version with Luminosity blending mode and "Blend if" layer option) on pores the are still bothering You - I finally understood how to use DnB! (layer: RT_Curves);
What do you mean by micro? I would caution against zooming in too far. It might seem like using 2 px brushes at really high zoom ratios would improve things. I think you would obtain better results if you avoid zooming in past 100% most of the time and choose your brush sizes accordingly. I can suggest a couple exercises that will help you gain proficiency in working that way if you like. They're similar to what people do when they're learning to draw. The point is just to have maximal control over your tools.

Quote:
Klev, would You be so kind and drop a link to the darken cloning tutorial? I searched the internet but the only thing I can find is this tutorial on dark cloning the hair. It's suppose to have the same impact on skin retouching but I can't find it useful.
I worded it poorly. I meant that I would use the clone tool with mode set to darken to take out a couple of those facial hairs and the bright dots that look like small pimples. I would probably use mostly DB for the rest. I would not use fs + smoothing. It impacts your details, because the impact of the high frequency layer is relative to the result of the low frequency layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2016, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
Skin is looking good. Regular D&B will do the job. If you want it fast, just create your own texture and replace it. Took me 30 seconds.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...04792355_o.jpg
He is asking how to replace texture, to tell him that it took you 30 seconds to do without showing him "how", is not the answer he or anyone expects!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
2. and 5. are unnecessary and 6. is optional and requires an advanced skill set, that even most professional retouchers lack
Could You please explain it a little further, skoobey?

As far as I understand, as Klev is also saying, You guys don't use FS at all? So You smooth the shadows only by DnB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
What do you mean by micro? I would caution against zooming in too far. It might seem like using 2 px brushes at really high zoom ratios would improve things. I think you would obtain better results if you avoid zooming in past 100% most of the time and choose your brush sizes accordingly. I can suggest a couple exercises that will help you gain proficiency in working that way if you like. They're similar to what people do when they're learning to draw. The point is just to have maximal control over your tools.

I worded it poorly. I meant that I would use the clone tool with mode set to darken to take out a couple of those facial hairs and the bright dots that look like small pimples. I would probably use mostly DB for the rest. I would not use fs + smoothing. It impacts your details, because the impact of the high frequency layer is relative to the result of the low frequency layer.
You understood me perfectly Klev, because by microDnB I meant zooming in as far as it suits me and then darkening the white spots and lightening the dark spots. I realised it's far much powerful than trying to clone good parts of the skin on the High layer of FS to the bad parts. This was my method for the forehead of this girl in the photo I posted at first. Btw. I watched this video https://vimeo.com/25667413 and tried it but it doesn't work. I created a totally new layer with all of the results of my previous work by Cmd+Option+Shift+E, then created a new empty layer with Darken mode, and then tried to clone any part of the photo with Cloning tool set to Darken but it seems somethings wrong because I can't see the results although they're visible if I set the layer to normal mode (tried sampling Current&Below and All layers, no luck): http://imgur.com/bzc5R1y Ok, I tried to clone the light pixels... Numbmnut...

I still can't imagine DnB'ing on 100% zoom but will try it.

I may seem a bit overwhelmed with all of those advices and approach to retouching guys but for the most part of my photography career I've been happy with the results that FS gave me, even though these results were not good enough from technical point of view, so I'm very sorry for theses lame questions I just decided I MUST master the retouching techniques and want to know how the pros are doing it. I'm just this kind of guy who need to get to know everything about wash machines before buying one haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
He is asking how to replace texture, to tell him that it took you 30 seconds to do without showing him "how", is not the answer he or anyone expects!
Hehe good one! But found it in the end, still feeling thankful for seeing that it's possible on this particular photograph

Last edited by psoiree; 06-19-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Of course. You can use the FS thing for specific problems but not huge portions of the image like an entire arm or entire cheekbone or whatever.

Like I said before, if it's looking real, it is real.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
I did. Pay attention.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Hehe good one! But found it in the end, still feeling thankful for seeing that it's possible on this particular photograph
What part of my answer you don't understand?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:

I still can't imagine DnB'ing on 100% zoom but will try it.
That could be one underlying and unobvious reason why this image seems difficult. I can't personally spot facial details when I zoom in too far. It just turns into patches of pixels. In my experience working beyond 100% takes way too long and leads to worse results for most things, especially general smoothing of skin and other surfaces. If something requires going past 100% or sometimes 200% to alleviate with DB, I stick to cloning or modifying other parts and patching the area.

Beyond that I check to make sure I'm not destroying definition. I try to figure out how to smooth something out with the smallest possible changes. It's both beneficial in terms of time spent and the quality of the end result, because it's less likely to introduce new problems. I also find it to be a less brittle workflow. As you noticed, your usual strategy breaks down on something that isn't even an atypical image.

You haven't mentioned whether you're using a tablet (and what size) or a mouse. For me personally it wouldn't matter what tool. I only care that it allows me enough freedom to make smooth strokes. For this aspect of it, refer to typical beginner drawing exercises. You want to be able to draw a decent circle, a smooth arc, or a fairly straight line using your preferred tool. This won't happen immediately, but if you practice it for a month you should see permanent improvement. It comes down to form, tool settings (pen to screen mapping, mouse mapping speed, etc, also disable mouse acceleration if you use a mouse), posture, and placement of your tablet or mouse. Without that it's really difficult to be accurate and it's easy to fall into the trap of zooming in way too far.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching