RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Replacing skin texture or... ?

Old 06-17-2016, 12:26 PM

Replacing skin texture or... ?

Hello Ladies and Gents!

It's my first post on this forum because for the last couple of years I thought my retouching techniques suits me well but then I took this photo and the nightmare has started. The picture below shows the skin condition AFTER the healing brush and frequency separation so as You can see the problem exists in skin texture. It's hard to re-create it because there's literally no single point to clone it from.

I've tried to find some tutorials on replacing the whole skin texture but with no luck. Also I've searched this forum but most of the questions are about smoothing single parts of the skin where You can find a good parts of it somewhere in the photo.

What do you suggest? What's the way to create a nice texture on FS's "high" layer?

http://i.imgur.com/iVhLM3S.jpg

Regards,
Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2016, 12:33 PM

Re: Replacing skin texture or... ?

You've made it really soft, and I don't think skin was that problematic. Maybe, you should try DNBing patchiness, and only clone and heal texture? You've tried to do all with one tool, it seems.

There is no real way to "create" texture, you can only sharpen what's there (well technically you can micro paint or do million patches from another similarly lit image, but it'll take for ever, and for that budget you might just as well reshoot).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
You've made it really soft, and I don't think skin was that problematic. Maybe, you should try DNBing patchiness, and only clone and heal texture? You've tried to do all with one tool, it seems.

There is no real way to "create" texture, you can only sharpen what's there (well technically you can micro paint or do million patches from another similarly lit image, but it'll take for ever, and for that budget you might just as well reshoot).
Skoobey, thank You for the reply. The problem is that the only thing I did here is smoothing the "low" layer of Frequency Separation so there's not much done to the skin texture. I can use some skin brushes on "high" layer but I want to get rid of this nightmare on the forehead.

Here's the original file: http://i.imgur.com/EPehERz.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoiree View Post
Skoobey, thank You for the reply. The problem is that the only thing I did here is smoothing the "low" layer of Frequency Separation so there's not much done to the skin texture.
It still impacts the look of it. FS is in no way a lossless decomposition of texture and a broader layer. The top layer is blended with respect to the first, so your concern should be the results, not whether you did anything to the top layer.

Also skoobey is right on this one. The skin isn't bad at all. Starting from the original a darken clone on a few spots and a small amount of DB to fix the patchy look would yield a better result. You just have to be careful not to overdo it. I recommend frequently checking your work for signs of this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2016, 03:35 PM

Skin is looking good. Regular D&B will do the job. If you want it fast, just create your own texture and replace it. Took me 30 seconds.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...04792355_o.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2016, 04:08 PM

Start by removing distractions like hairs and pimples. Then make texture uniform by cloning nad healing on high layer(notice, this is a close up, so you can't just take a huge section and clone, we do see every pore, so you have to clone every pore that is distracting, but leave those that are not), then you DNB to get rid of blotchiness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
[...]Also skoobey is right on this one. The skin isn't bad at all. Starting from the original a darken clone on a few spots and a small amount of DB to fix the patchy look would yield a better result. You just have to be careful not to overdo it. I recommend frequently checking your work for signs of this.
Klev, would You be so kind and drop a link to the darken cloning tutorial? I searched the internet but the only thing I can find is this tutorial on dark cloning the hair. It's suppose to have the same impact on skin retouching but I can't find it useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
Skin is looking good. Regular D&B will do the job. If you want it fast, just create your own texture and replace it. Took me 30 seconds.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...04792355_o.jpg
This is the desired effect I want to achieve! How did u do that? I tried to find skin textures and also stumbled upon this degrunge tutorial http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213 but it seems that I'm still missing something...

Quote:
Start by removing distractions like hairs and pimples. Then make texture uniform by cloning nad healing on high layer(notice, this is a close up, so you can't just take a huge section and clone, we do see every pore, so you have to clone every pore that is distracting, but leave those that are not), then you DNB to get rid of blotchiness.
This is what bothers me - do You guys use DnB also for retouching the skin pores? I've seen many DnB tutorials for the last couple of years (like this one: http://www.dmd-digital-retouching.co...burn-tutorial/ or the Charles'es Lucima one) but I thought it's for overall retouching like building the light/shaping the face and never tried to use it for healing parts of the skin. This guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZd6w8bYbJY is doing some magic with the DnB but there's no explanation. Also I use one of the methods from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeEXY2kIpVo (Michael Wołoszynowicz), Curves one to be exact, but still - all of the photographs in those tutorials are presenting models with almost perfect skin condition so there's not much over just healing and cloning to be done on them.

Last edited by psoiree; 06-18-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2016, 07:22 AM

DNB is basically painting with light, you can paint as tiny or as huge as you want as long as it looks good in the end. I use it for everything. Forget the second link, the results are terrible, doesn't matter what they use.

P.S. Yes, you can clone anything with darken or lighten, there is no "hair, or watch, or purse", it's all pixels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
DNB is basically painting with light, you can paint as tiny or as huge as you want as long as it looks good in the end. I use it for everything. Forget the second link, the results are terrible, doesn't matter what they use.

P.S. Yes, you can clone anything with darken or lighten, there is no "hair, or watch, or purse", it's all pixels.
I think I may have found what suits me best at the moment Skoobey, and it's thank to You guys.

I don't know if it's correct approach but my workflow looks like this now:
1. Use the healing brush/patch/stamp tool on the copy of the original layer for the minor skin problems;

2. Frequency Separation where I try to soften the shadows and overall colour shifts (layer: Smoothing);

3. Use the healing brush/patch/stamp tool on "high" frequency layer if it's possible to copy good parts of the pores to the bad ones (layer: high);

4. Use the microDnB (Curves version with Luminosity blending mode and "Blend if" layer option) on pores the are still bothering You - I finally understood how to use DnB! (layer: RT_Curves);

5. Add Your own skin texture (Smart Layer with Emboss and Gaussian Blur) to the parts where it's smoothed out because of the light (layer: Skin texture);

6. DnB the whole shape and light of the face (layer: Curves_ALL);
This particular photograph still needs some work to be done but I'm quite happy with the results since I don't want it to look like beauty retouch:

http://imgur.com/cmxpkDc (its before sharpening)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2016, 01:39 PM

2. and 5. are unnecessary and 6. is optional and requires an advanced skill set, that even most professional retouchers lack
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching