RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Liquify clipping path

Old 06-25-2016, 06:22 PM

Liquify clipping path

Hello,

I have a clipping path and I want to apply liquify to the image but I also want to liquify the path.

I know this can be done because I have done it before but I can't figure out how I used to do it.

I have a layer as a smart object and attached to it a mask and a vector mask. When I liquify the layer, I select the mask and hit control+f and this way the liquify effect is being applied to the mask. So fare everything is good. But this is not effecting the vector mask.

How can I do that?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2016, 08:47 PM

Re: Liquify clipping path

I don't think that can be done. But I would love to be proven wrong.
-- shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
But I would love to be proven wrong.
-- shift studio.
You can't be proven wrong because it isn't subjective. Liquify takes a raster input and returns a raster output. Since the plugin doesn't take or return a path, it can't be applied directly.

You would have to create a layer mask from the clipping path, then apply liquify to that mask. You can of course use the original image as a backdrop so that you can see what you're doing.

The entire question is a little silly in some ways. Paths use interpolation over points to produce a certain curvature, and liquify is really the wrong tool to manipulate that. It would be a very bad idea to even add that, although it could work okay using the layer mask method I described. Just be aware that converting a layer mask back to a clipping path may not be feasible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayano View Post
Hello,

I have a clipping path and I want to apply liquify to the image but I also want to liquify the path.

I know this can be done because I have done it before but I can't figure out how I used to do it.
You can transform/warp a path or vector mask. Perhaps that is what you had done in the past.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2016, 06:07 AM

Clipping path is not an object or shape to modify, it’s a guide which shows the border or an area that you can select
The shapes created by a path can be liquefied but not the path itself
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 AM

More information may be required here as your explanation lacks detail
1. Why are you using a Layer as a Smart Object in relation to this Vector Mask clipping procedure ?
Presumably to ensure the layer is non destructive. For what purpose ?
Are there are certain Filters in Photoshop you wish to adjust again after applying them ? Or, is the Smart Object layer currently linked to Camera RAW or Illustrator and you want to continue editing in those applications before committing to a raster based layer ?
If not, it is best to use a normal layer. Keep it simple.
2. As other members have pointed out, Liquification in Photoshop is a raster based procedure.
It appears from your notes that your first raster mask has already isolated the pixel based area you want on the Smart Object layer before you chose Liquify so the procedure works. You can Liquify that Masked selection alone. No problem.
But, since you have an additional Vector Mask, it must rasterized first before you can use it. Otherwise, the Liquify filter will not recognize this as a pixel based rasterized object.
3. To achieve this,
First duplicate the Vector Mask on its own layer (that is, now isolated from the Smart Object Layer) and Hold Shift and Click to Disable the original Vector Mask on the Smart Object Layer.
Second, select the Vector Mask layer and go to Layer Menu and choose Rasterize > Layer or choose Rasterize > Vector Mask. Probably, it is best to Rasterize the entire Layer. (Do not choose ALL Layers).
Third, hold down Control Key (Command or Control click on Mac) and click the Rasterized Vector Mask to load it as a Selection.
Fourth, without holding Control, reselect the original Smart Object Layer that has the image you want to Liquify.
Fifth, go to Filter and choose Liquify and it should allow you to edit within the constraints of your new rasterized Mask. Or, if you want to protect that area and Liquify outside the Mask simply invert the Mask in Liquify > Properties > Mask Option > Invert
I hope this helps.

Last edited by paul_eddie; 07-11-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching