RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to Remove Dark Circles Under Eyes?

Old 07-13-2016, 04:44 AM

How to Remove Dark Circles Under Eyes?

Can anyone give any easiest tutorial on removing dark circles under eyes here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2016, 05:57 AM

Re: How to Remove Dark Circles Under Eyes?

I've always found this method helpful. Keeps the texture and removes circles and bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lL8XUUWg_Q
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2016, 11:48 PM

You can also use a curves adjustment layer from the 1/2 moon icon at the bottom of the layers pallet. This will give you a clear, transparent, non-covering, non destructive layer that is totally adjustable. It will come with a white mask already provided on the layer.

If you want to only lighten the eye bags you can just pull up on the center of the RGB curve... and then the whole image will be lightened as you pull. Pull up till you see the eye bags getting better looking.

To use the technique you have to invert the white mask to a black mask by pressing Control or Command I (Invert) after having selected the mask. This hides your above adjustment completely. Now paint on the black mask with a 4% opacity soft white brush over the eye area. This will softly and subtly selectively brighten the eye bags by however much you want...where ever you want it lighter. Use the white brush to ADD the lightening effect...change it to a black brush and paint to HIDE the lightening effect. Use the opacity slider on the top right of the layers pallet to further adjust the intensity of the fix... untill you like it.

If you want / need to...you can also go into the red, green or blue channels and slightly pull up or down on the center of the curves to color correct the adjustment however you like.

Good Luck - Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2016, 02:45 AM

Images vary a lot, and you are likely to hit edge cases if you do enough of these. Once in a while, it will be extremely annoying. In general you remove dark circles by lightening them, typically via burn/dodge methods. You add some color correction if the color goes wacky in spots. This can be an adjustment layer or color blended cloning.

In general you should learn as much as possible about the anatomy of that area, basically eye socket and upper cheek. Otherwise you may not notice it right away if your retouching produces the appearance of an unrealistic shape. It's one of those tough areas that people constantly screw up. Other things that people screw up are cutting out and comping things that involve hair, retouching hands and feet, and probably a number of other things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris View Post
I've always found this method helpful. Keeps the texture and removes circles and bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lL8XUUWg_Q
The process is looking easier as well. Thank you for sharing this video link
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2016, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray12 View Post
You can also use a curves adjustment layer from the 1/2 moon icon at the bottom of the layers pallet. This will give you a clear, transparent, non-covering, non destructive layer that is totally adjustable. It will come with a white mask already provided on the layer.

If you want to only lighten the eye bags you can just pull up on the center of the RGB curve... and then the whole image will be lightened as you pull. Pull up till you see the eye bags getting better looking.

To use the technique you have to invert the white mask to a black mask by pressing Control or Command I (Invert) after having selected the mask. This hides your above adjustment completely. Now paint on the black mask with a 4% opacity soft white brush over the eye area. This will softly and subtly selectively brighten the eye bags by however much you want...where ever you want it lighter. Use the white brush to ADD the lightening effect...change it to a black brush and paint to HIDE the lightening effect. Use the opacity slider on the top right of the layers pallet to further adjust the intensity of the fix... untill you like it.

If you want / need to...you can also go into the red, green or blue channels and slightly pull up or down on the center of the curves to color correct the adjustment however you like.

Good Luck - Ray
Thank you Ray for sharing another option here. I didnt have any idea on using curve adjustment for removing dark circle, now i will definitely try your suggestion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Images vary a lot, and you are likely to hit edge cases if you do enough of these. Once in a while, it will be extremely annoying. In general you remove dark circles by lightening them, typically via burn/dodge methods. You add some color correction if the color goes wacky in spots. This can be an adjustment layer or color blended cloning.

In general you should learn as much as possible about the anatomy of that area, basically eye socket and upper cheek. Otherwise you may not notice it right away if your retouching produces the appearance of an unrealistic shape. It's one of those tough areas that people constantly screw up. Other things that people screw up are cutting out and comping things that involve hair, retouching hands and feet, and probably a number of other things.
Thank you for the suggestions
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2016, 06:01 AM

How about consulting a dermatologist? I had dark circles under my eyes because of not getting proper sleep and work pressure. I used cucumber as I have read in blogs it helps to reduce the dark circles but there was not much effect. One of my colleagues suggested undergoing dark circle under eyes treatment from the centre for dermatology in Richmond Hill. She had undergone the same procedure from this clinic. So I would suggest you to consult a good dermatologist in your locality and take good treatment for the dark circles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martaz32 View Post
How about consulting a dermatologist? I had dark circles under my eyes because of not getting proper sleep and work pressure. I used cucumber as I have read in blogs it helps to reduce the dark circles but there was not much effect. One of my colleagues suggested undergoing dark circle under eyes treatment from the centre for dermatology in Richmond Hill. She had undergone the same procedure from this clinic. So I would suggest you to consult a good dermatologist in your locality and take good treatment for the dark circles.
Yeah thank you but I was just asking editing the picture in Photoshop
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumicpi View Post
Yeah thank you but I was just asking editing the picture in Photoshop
Similar to Ray's procedure above, but even more straightforward as it simply compresses each colour-channel individually:

http://i.imgur.com/zjUK0qG.png
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching