RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

can anyone tell me how to get this skin tone?

Old 07-23-2016, 05:11 AM

can anyone tell me how to get this skin tone?

For photographer alansdair mclellan , his pics always have a same single hue tone in the skin, i have try this by create a saturation/hue adjustment layer then select Coloration option, choose a yellow/red color, blend mode is softlight. but this dont really do well . anyone can tell me about how to get the single hue tone with a bright luminosity? thanks so much!

https://www.portraitsofgirls.com/sam...n-winter-2014/
http://am.bulletserve.net/slideshowp...x&m=1468927246
http://theimpression.com/wp-content/...ression-08.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2016, 05:58 AM

Re: can anyone tell me how to get this skin tone?

You define a palette depending on what's in your image. Then you make individual adjustments to make colors fit into your palette.

Tone is just exposure and curves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
You define a palette depending on what's in your image. Then you make individual adjustments to make colors fit into your palette.

Tone is just exposure and curves.
thx skoobey! i think the s/h layer is just good for the effect cuz i just want all the color tend to a single color. u got a lot of experience ! it's very cool u saying "Tone is just exposure and curves". i always play with it ,it is a useful tool, but curves with blend mode is just important too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekedavinci View Post
thx skoobey! i think the s/h layer is just good for the effect cuz i just want all the color tend to a single color. u got a lot of experience ! it's very cool u saying "Tone is just exposure and curves". i always play with it ,it is a useful tool, but curves with blend mode is just important too.
Not as much as you might think. The use of atypical blending modes often makes things less controllable. It's just temporarily seductive, because something that appeared flat suddenly has a significant amount of contrast.

As for Mclellan's work, you wouldn't get that simply using softlight for contrast. A significant amount of the impact there is achieved through slightly surreal color correction on the background with more correction applied to the clothing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Not as much as you might think. The use of atypical blending modes often makes things less controllable. It's just temporarily seductive, because something that appeared flat suddenly has a significant amount of contrast.

As for Mclellan's work, you wouldn't get that simply using softlight for contrast. A significant amount of the impact there is achieved through slightly surreal color correction on the background with more correction applied to the clothing.

klev,thx for your advise. first of all, to talk about contrast in this series pics, it's more about sunlight but not a softlight layer. for the background and clothing color, i think it's common , just increase saturation and reduce some luminosity ,and the texture of brick wall and woolen just help to get that film effect. for the skin tone , make a color mode layer and fill with a tone with low opacity will get that single hue . i dont have the original version pics, so this is just my opinion. happy to hear your opinion again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2016, 01:54 PM

Are you asking or are you telling? lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Are you asking or are you telling? lol
it was a misunderstanding .i just telling my opinion, still cannot solve the skin problem. klev just mention about other issue so i continue for him.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2016, 01:23 AM

They all have the same curve.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...15579367_o.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
it's an amazing app, i installed the demo version . how can i extract the curves? if it work well , i gonna purchase one.

Last edited by kekedavinci; 07-25-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
it was a misunderstanding .i just telling my opinion, still cannot solve the skin problem. klev just mention about other issue so i continue for him.
Ah.. that's my own fault. I read a lot of "how do I get these colors" questions.

Here's how I would do it. I would adjust the image normally. If I couldn't get the skin to look good alongside other adjustments, I would mask off the skin and do that separately. I would avoid putting heavy curves on skin, as they screw things up.

For getting the right color balance, I would adjust curves or color balance on something like this. This is quite easy if they have a nice tan. If you're having trouble with this approach on someone with fair skin, you can of course use channel mixer.

Apart from that if I had any ugly/murky light grey shadows, I would only darken the shadows. Heavy curves just make skin look ugly and push very subtle differences into extremes.

Lastly if you're stuck, feel free to post a test example and I'll comment on it or show you what I would use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
Quote:
it's an amazing app, i installed the demo version . how can i extract the curves? if it work well , i gonna purchase one.
Hmm... I should look at that app. It may be making some underlying assumptions to produce that curve. The typical "grey world" assumption is to assume that the image should average out to some value that is neutral with respect to its encoding.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching