Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

lets talk about this fantastic style

Old 07-28-2016, 02:15 AM
Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
It's the DNB mask that requires skill, making a simple three point curve is easy.
would u try one? original pic here:
and my version here: sorry it is not good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by kekedavinci View Post
should do the MU all over the body , u mean it ? looks like u did this DB curves before?
my version here :
It is all about money, budget and time. Much cheaper and faster to get as close as possible to the final outcome before you even start shooting.

Post work is just a final step to fine-tune the outcome. You can't do everything in post. A good retoucher will cost you more than 10 times the cost of good MUA.

Your effort is good, but, we will never come close to the real thing , we might get the "look" but not the "feel". You have a lot of desaturated areas which is the result of D&B if not done properly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by kekedavinci View Post
klev,thx very much for your advice.i will keep in mind when do post work.
i did a version here, not that good,so if u do interesting you can have it a try.
Your lighting could use some work. Post work could be worse, but it's a good example why I don't like messing with blending modes. In this case it added way too much contrast to the skin. In fact it tells me that you didn't look at your reference while you worked on this. Otherwise I think you would have spotted it right away.

As I mentioned mask off your skin. You're applying a really heavy handed adjustment to it, and it looks bad because of that. Compare to the results you were trying to achieve. They might have a couple bright isolated highlights, but they do not have that super high contrast skin that you show here. They also look better without it. Regardless of bronzer, it takes some post work to get that result. Either makeup can't make it sufficiently even or the makeup starts to wear a little and it needs touch up in post or it's just not enough to create the desired impact.

While I agree with Aladdin that you should do whatever is practical via makeup, the examples still have obvious post work. He and I don't typically agree though. I don't like to discuss the initial production, because focusing on multiple optimizations at any given time is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching