RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

lets talk about this fantastic style

Old 07-26-2016, 08:09 AM

lets talk about this fantastic style

i been joined retouchpro for 7 years. i think there are many ways to achieve some looks. for us, we can work it out somehow sooner or later. however i ask the same question now here. the aim is to find out if you guys have a awesome way that i never mention before , or maybe i have go the wrong way.
photographer lachlan bailey's work have a outstanding third dimension style. looks like there is always some oil in the skin of the models. to get the high range detail from shadow to high light,i think he may shoot in large digital format camera with 16 bit images. but he must do lots of retouching as well i think. do u guys have some words to say? please feel free to comment! will be really appreciate. the follow(the front 3 links) are his works.also i have 2 pics (the last two links)to star with, hope you do enjoy
http://www.thisisglamorous.com/wp-co...-Glamorous.jpg

http://orig09.deviantart.net/924f/f/...ng-dabjzp7.jpg
http://orig11.deviantart.net/6f68/f/...ng-dabjzbd.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 AM

Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekedavinci View Post
i been joined retouchpro for 7 years. i think there are many ways to achieve some looks. for us, we can work it out somehow sooner or later. however i ask the same question now here. the aim is to find out if you guys have a awesome way that i never mention before , or maybe i have go the wrong way.
photographer lachlan bailey's work have a outstanding third dimension style. looks like there is always some oil in the skin of the models. to get the high range detail from shadow to high light,i think he may shoot in large digital format camera with 16 bit images. but he must do lots of retouching as well i think.
16 bits per channel won't impact the aesthetic of it. It allows you to encode a greater number of values. They don't appear to be oiled. Highlights don't make those exact shapes on oiled skin. I think that part is mostly lighting and post work, although some of those highlights look a little ridiculous to me. Some of them track leg shapes better than others.

I would suggest tan model for the highlights. There are lotions that can be used to give a bit of extra shine, but you won't get that without post work. If you want something that looks like that deeper skintone, the model will need to be tan. You will still end up with some amount of work to get that kind of skintone, but without a tan model the end results won't be very good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
16 bits per channel won't impact the aesthetic of it. It allows you to encode a greater number of values. They don't appear to be oiled. Highlights don't make those exact shapes on oiled skin. I think that part is mostly lighting and post work, although some of those highlights look a little ridiculous to me. Some of them track leg shapes better than others.

I would suggest tan model for the highlights. There are lotions that can be used to give a bit of extra shine, but you won't get that without post work. If you want something that looks like that deeper skintone, the model will need to be tan. You will still end up with some amount of work to get that kind of skintone, but without a tan model the end results won't be very good.
klev, glad to see u here again ! i think high bit means high quality. model in the photos is Andreea Diaconu . she is white . to make the tan dark skin in post work is necessary, cuz white skin cant not achieve the grey from light to dark. it's not obvious that a highlight in a white skin look clear.so ,i think its all post work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
she is white . to make the tan dark skin in post work is necessary, cuz white skin cant not achieve the grey from light to dark. it's not obvious that a highlight in a white skin look clear.so ,i think its all post work.
I googled her by name. She still appears to have a decent tan. If you start off with someone too light, it's a lot more difficult. This is one of those things where I would use channel mixer on skin, because it lets me deepen things without adding significant local contrast, which would lend a rough appearance to the skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I googled her by name. She still appears to have a decent tan. If you start off with someone too light, it's a lot more difficult. This is one of those things where I would use channel mixer on skin, because it lets me deepen things without adding significant local contrast, which would lend a rough appearance to the skin.
to darken the skin is what i wanna talking about here. im curious how do u use channel mixer, if u change the blend mode to multiply?my method is make a bw layer and apply a darken blend mode . can u explain more?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
to darken the skin is what i wanna talking about here. im curious how do u use channel mixer, if u change the blend mode to multiply?my method is make a bw layer and apply a darken blend mode . can u explain more?
I'm familiar with that strategy. Your results may differ, but I arrived at consistently terrible results doing it that way. Using blending modes like softlight or multiply will usually block up your shadows, and it definitely makes the skin look rough.

You can mask off skin and bring each of the channels down by a small amount. Adjust the ratios as needed. Alternatively, mask out the skin and try bringing a single point on a curves layer down somewhat. You can do this channel by channel for red, green, and blue if you like. Either use r,g, and b or the rgb curve, not both (it's redundant). Never use more than one point. If it's not enough, use a different strategy. Using too many points on a curve is essentially overfitting. You don't have a sufficient level of feedback to make reasonable assertions of what an optimal curve with 3-4 points would look like, and even 2 is often pushing it.

You can also use a brightness contrast layer. Lower brightness. If the skin starts to look too rough, lower contrast slightly. Adobe replaced the old crappy brightness algorithm somewhere around CS5 or so. The version that appeared in CS5 and 6 just scaled channel coordinates, which delivers better results than something weighted by mean or median values.

You'll still need to be smart about your choice of images. If lighting is flat and model looks pale, don't expect too much. If you start off with something reasonable, you should be able to match the results in your links. You also don't need to worry about medium format digital. You can get a sufficient level of quality from any dslr these days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2016, 11:39 PM

Have your MUA apply generous amount of Bronzer on your subject. http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-...-boutique.html.

Once in post, apply D&B along with a curve or two. Done!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Have your MUA apply generous amount of Bronzer on your subject. http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-...-boutique.html.

It's the DNB mask that requires skill, making a simple three point curve is easy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
I'm familiar with that strategy. Your results may differ, but I arrived at consistently terrible results doing it that way. Using blending modes like softlight or multiply will usually block up your shadows, and it definitely makes the skin look rough.

You can mask off skin and bring each of the channels down by a small amount. Adjust the ratios as needed. Alternatively, mask out the skin and try bringing a single point on a curves layer down somewhat. You can do this channel by channel for red, green, and blue if you like. Either use r,g, and b or the rgb curve, not both (it's redundant). Never use more than one point. If it's not enough, use a different strategy. Using too many points on a curve is essentially overfitting. You don't have a sufficient level of feedback to make reasonable assertions of what an optimal curve with 3-4 points would look like, and even 2 is often pushing it.

You can also use a brightness contrast layer. Lower brightness. If the skin starts to look too rough, lower contrast slightly. Adobe replaced the old crappy brightness algorithm somewhere around CS5 or so. The version that appeared in CS5 and 6 just scaled channel coordinates, which delivers better results than something weighted by mean or median values.

You'll still need to be smart about your choice of images. If lighting is flat and model looks pale, don't expect too much. If you start off with something reasonable, you should be able to match the results in your links. You also don't need to worry about medium format digital. You can get a sufficient level of quality from any dslr these days.
klev,thx very much for your advice.i will keep in mind when do post work.
i did a version here, not that good,so if u do interesting you can have it a try.
http://orig03.deviantart.net/a043/f/...ng-dabs5wr.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2016, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

should do the MU all over the body , u mean it ? looks like u did this DB curves before?
my version here :
http://orig03.deviantart.net/a043/f/...ng-dabs5wr.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching