RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Photo Restore Advice?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-01-2016, 01:34 PM
felinawi felinawi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 24
Thumbs up Photo Restore Advice?

HI everyone! I could sure use a little advance if you have some time.

I have gotten pretty far on restoring a photo... but I have some questions on how to proceed with a few things.

1) If you look at middle row - the guy 2nd from the left has like a lighter halo around him... somehow the photo was damaged in this area. Not sure how to get rid of this.

2) Some of the details on some faces are sharper than others... what is a good way to sharpen faces without making it obvious with a circle around the face from unsharp mask?

3) This was a large photo so I had to scan in 1/4 sections... if you look closely the bottom 1/3 is a little darker... you can kind of see a line across there. Is there a good way to blend this?

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link: http://www.pictureperfectkeepsakes.c...eball-team.jpg

Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 08-02-2016, 03:06 AM
Nezbitten's Avatar
Nezbitten Nezbitten is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: England UK
Posts: 52
Re: Photo Restore Advice?

Hi

"2nd guy" try a soft brush set to darken shadows at 1% and dab in a few times. or midtones or highlights whichever gets the desired effect.

The mismatch in scanned layers could be that when you scanned, all the "auto" corrections aren't switched off and you may have had two slightly different contrast / hue / saturated images. When stitched they did not match. To fix suck all the red out of teh image using image/adjustments/hue sat and pick red, reduce slider all the way down. Then just re-tone the whole image either with a coloured overlay, or tone map or photo filter or whatever gets best results.

You may need to add a masked sharpen layer over the top and reveal or paint in the sharpness with a soft brush, over those faces you want to sharpen. It may be a case of just improving the exposure and contrast to bring then in line with the others.

All the best
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 AM
felinawi felinawi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 24
Thumbs up Re: Photo Restore Advice?

Thank you so much for your reply Nezbitten I truly appreciate your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezbitten View Post
Hi

"2nd guy" try a soft brush set to darken shadows at 1% and dab in a few times. or midtones or highlights whichever gets the desired effect.

The mismatch in scanned layers could be that when you scanned, all the "auto" corrections aren't switched off and you may have had two slightly different contrast / hue / saturated images. When stitched they did not match. To fix suck all the red out of teh image using image/adjustments/hue sat and pick red, reduce slider all the way down. Then just re-tone the whole image either with a coloured overlay, or tone map or photo filter or whatever gets best results.

You may need to add a masked sharpen layer over the top and reveal or paint in the sharpness with a soft brush, over those faces you want to sharpen. It may be a case of just improving the exposure and contrast to bring then in line with the others.

All the best
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 08-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Gary Gary is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 220
Re: Photo Restore Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinawi View Post
HI everyone! I could sure use a little advance if you have some time.

I have gotten pretty far on restoring a photo... but I have some questions on how to proceed with a few things.

1) If you look at middle row - the guy 2nd from the left has like a lighter halo around him... somehow the photo was damaged in this area. Not sure how to get rid of this.

2) Some of the details on some faces are sharper than others... what is a good way to sharpen faces without making it obvious with a circle around the face from unsharp mask?

3) This was a large photo so I had to scan in 1/4 sections... if you look closely the bottom 1/3 is a little darker... you can kind of see a line across there. Is there a good way to blend this?

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link: http://www.pictureperfectkeepsakes.c...eball-team.jpg

Thank you!
1. Used curves adjustment on a duplicate, inverted the mask and then a white brush to apply selectively. Curves adjustment in the same manner for contrast;
2. applied sharpening to a duplicate and applied it selectively, in particular to the bottom row, using a mask.
3. Clone stamp but in this case, selected the flooring on picture left, copied to a layer above, flipped it horizontally and moved it over to picture right. Blended with a mask.
Texture add with Topaz Texture Effects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseball-team.jpg (97.8 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 08-05-2016, 11:26 AM
felinawi felinawi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
Posts: 24
Re: Photo Restore Advice?

Thank you very much Gary --- so you used an adjustment layer or you just applied the curves to a duplicate layer? I could not find a way to invert it...
Obviously I am missing something or you do not do it with an adjustment layer. I am still looking though!

Have a great day!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
1. Used curves adjustment on a duplicate, inverted the mask and then a white brush to apply selectively. Curves adjustment in the same manner for contrast;
2. applied sharpening to a duplicate and applied it selectively, in particular to the bottom row, using a mask.
3. Clone stamp but in this case, selected the flooring on picture left, copied to a layer above, flipped it horizontally and moved it over to picture right. Blended with a mask.
Texture add with Topaz Texture Effects.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on double exposed photo amclau09 Photo Restoration 8 07-17-2015 09:20 AM
Is this photo restorable? elliotrobinson Photo Restoration 3 05-27-2015 09:19 PM
Restore yellow and scratched 70s photo nazca13 Photo Restoration 10 06-22-2012 02:29 AM
Help and Advice Needed on this photo felinawi Photo Restoration 8 06-03-2012 01:08 PM
Mildew/mold on photo judyb Photo Restoration 9 07-27-2011 05:27 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved