RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Photo Restore Advice?

Old 08-01-2016, 01:34 PM

Thumbs up Photo Restore Advice?

HI everyone! I could sure use a little advance if you have some time.

I have gotten pretty far on restoring a photo... but I have some questions on how to proceed with a few things.

1) If you look at middle row - the guy 2nd from the left has like a lighter halo around him... somehow the photo was damaged in this area. Not sure how to get rid of this.

2) Some of the details on some faces are sharper than others... what is a good way to sharpen faces without making it obvious with a circle around the face from unsharp mask?

3) This was a large photo so I had to scan in 1/4 sections... if you look closely the bottom 1/3 is a little darker... you can kind of see a line across there. Is there a good way to blend this?

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link: http://www.pictureperfectkeepsakes.c...eball-team.jpg

Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2016, 03:06 AM

Re: Photo Restore Advice?

Hi

"2nd guy" try a soft brush set to darken shadows at 1% and dab in a few times. or midtones or highlights whichever gets the desired effect.

The mismatch in scanned layers could be that when you scanned, all the "auto" corrections aren't switched off and you may have had two slightly different contrast / hue / saturated images. When stitched they did not match. To fix suck all the red out of teh image using image/adjustments/hue sat and pick red, reduce slider all the way down. Then just re-tone the whole image either with a coloured overlay, or tone map or photo filter or whatever gets best results.

You may need to add a masked sharpen layer over the top and reveal or paint in the sharpness with a soft brush, over those faces you want to sharpen. It may be a case of just improving the exposure and contrast to bring then in line with the others.

All the best
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 AM

Thumbs up Re: Photo Restore Advice?

Thank you so much for your reply Nezbitten I truly appreciate your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezbitten View Post
Hi

"2nd guy" try a soft brush set to darken shadows at 1% and dab in a few times. or midtones or highlights whichever gets the desired effect.

The mismatch in scanned layers could be that when you scanned, all the "auto" corrections aren't switched off and you may have had two slightly different contrast / hue / saturated images. When stitched they did not match. To fix suck all the red out of teh image using image/adjustments/hue sat and pick red, reduce slider all the way down. Then just re-tone the whole image either with a coloured overlay, or tone map or photo filter or whatever gets best results.

You may need to add a masked sharpen layer over the top and reveal or paint in the sharpness with a soft brush, over those faces you want to sharpen. It may be a case of just improving the exposure and contrast to bring then in line with the others.

All the best
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinawi View Post
HI everyone! I could sure use a little advance if you have some time.

I have gotten pretty far on restoring a photo... but I have some questions on how to proceed with a few things.

1) If you look at middle row - the guy 2nd from the left has like a lighter halo around him... somehow the photo was damaged in this area. Not sure how to get rid of this.

2) Some of the details on some faces are sharper than others... what is a good way to sharpen faces without making it obvious with a circle around the face from unsharp mask?

3) This was a large photo so I had to scan in 1/4 sections... if you look closely the bottom 1/3 is a little darker... you can kind of see a line across there. Is there a good way to blend this?

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link: http://www.pictureperfectkeepsakes.c...eball-team.jpg

Thank you!
1. Used curves adjustment on a duplicate, inverted the mask and then a white brush to apply selectively. Curves adjustment in the same manner for contrast;
2. applied sharpening to a duplicate and applied it selectively, in particular to the bottom row, using a mask.
3. Clone stamp but in this case, selected the flooring on picture left, copied to a layer above, flipped it horizontally and moved it over to picture right. Blended with a mask.
Texture add with Topaz Texture Effects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseball-team.jpg (97.8 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Thank you very much Gary --- so you used an adjustment layer or you just applied the curves to a duplicate layer? I could not find a way to invert it...
Obviously I am missing something or you do not do it with an adjustment layer. I am still looking though!

Have a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
1. Used curves adjustment on a duplicate, inverted the mask and then a white brush to apply selectively. Curves adjustment in the same manner for contrast;
2. applied sharpening to a duplicate and applied it selectively, in particular to the bottom row, using a mask.
3. Clone stamp but in this case, selected the flooring on picture left, copied to a layer above, flipped it horizontally and moved it over to picture right. Blended with a mask.
Texture add with Topaz Texture Effects.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching