RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Halo on Frequency Separation for Cutout Images

Old 08-08-2016, 07:01 PM

Halo on Frequency Separation for Cutout Images

Hey all,

Newbie here, but a fairly experienced journeyman in retouching. However, this problem is new to me, and has proved perplexing thus far. I was doing a frequency separation on a portrait, but unlike previous images, I had cut this image of the girl out of her background, so she resides on a layer cutout without background or fill/bg color. I noticed once I set up the frequency sep, the high layer gives a gnarly halo around the cutout image.

My question is, is this because the FS was done on a cutout image, and is there anyway to correct for this that doesn't involved adding fill color to the cutout?

Appreciate any insight on this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2016, 08:47 PM

Re: Halo on Frequency Separation for Cutout Images

That is the expected behavior given your depiction. Ignoring the underlying goals of fs, it uses gaussian blur or some other blur on one layer. If you do that to any image with some fully transparent pixels, you will have some bleed. That's not unexpected.

You get around this somewhat by using a layer mask on the layer containing the girl. Make other adjustments as needed. Blur the outline by 1 pixel if it's too harsh. Check to make sure you don't compromise the transparency of the girl anywhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2016, 02:35 PM

Use surface blur instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2016, 06:27 PM

You should put a split into a masked group. Deleting pixels instead of using masks is not a good workflow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BPixelLab View Post
Hey all,

Newbie here, but a fairly experienced journeyman in retouching. However, this problem is new to me, and has proved perplexing thus far. I was doing a frequency separation on a portrait, but unlike previous images, I had cut this image of the girl out of her background, so she resides on a layer cutout without background or fill/bg color. I noticed once I set up the frequency sep, the high layer gives a gnarly halo around the cutout image.

My question is, is this because the FS was done on a cutout image, and is there anyway to correct for this that doesn't involved adding fill color to the cutout?

Appreciate any insight on this.
While I echo skoobey, above as regards workflow, in the short-term this is probably what you're looking for:

https://snag.gy/GzaHe8.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
That is the expected behavior given your depiction. Ignoring the underlying goals of fs, it uses gaussian blur or some other blur on one layer. If you do that to any image with some fully transparent pixels, you will have some bleed. That's not unexpected.

You get around this somewhat by using a layer mask on the layer containing the girl. Make other adjustments as needed. Blur the outline by 1 pixel if it's too harsh. Check to make sure you don't compromise the transparency of the girl anywhere.
Why I never 2+2d that the Gaussian blur and the fact that I didn't use a mask is just sloppy on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
Use surface blur instead.
I'll test drive that the next time I delete a background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
You should put a split into a masked group. Deleting pixels instead of using masks is not a good workflow.
Yeah, I generally do use masks, but this was a personal project with a redundancy of copies of the original. But you're right, it's a bad habit, and it haunted me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesh View Post
While I echo skoobey, above as regards workflow, in the short-term this is probably what you're looking for:

https://snag.gy/GzaHe8.jpg
Thanks, I try to heed the advice to mask out of principle. I usually know better, but occasionally I cave to college habits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BPixelLab View Post
Why I never 2+2d that the Gaussian blur and the fact that I didn't use a mask is just sloppy on my part.
I don't understand what you mean by 2+2d, but I do know some of the mechanics of gaussian blur. It samples neighboring pixels and doesn't lock transparency. I think if you use a mask and then select based on that mask, it might work. It probably requires some experimentation. Otherwise it will either include a contribution from pixels that are later removed from the image or include some level of transparency, as the alpha value is implicitly sampled.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching