RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Lightroom tutorial help needed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 PM
voidsource voidsource is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 49
Lightroom tutorial help needed

I was searching for retouching tutorials on modern homes, more specifically white modern homes, and I couldn't find any actual tutorials on the subject. I find it very hard to believe. I did a google and youtube search and only one video by sergei something ( sorry idr his name ) and it was not really much of a tutorial about a white modern home but a white modern hotel room. Which is not the same thing. While links were seeming to point to using photoshop only.

So I came on to the forums, here to ask if anyone in here, has any links to good tutorials for retouching white modern homes ( both exterior and interior ) in lightroom, without a single aid in photoshop...thanks in advance and sorry for any and all difficulties understanding what I'm trying to get across.

The reason I want LR is because I am currently retouching several images of such properties, with one single image given to me and thus, I am forced to fix much of the underexposed, overexposed parts of the raw/nef images without the proper balance ( about 80% of the time ), and in some cases i get both underexpose and overexposed in the same image just on different sides of the image. Sometimes even in one within the other ( small windows or walls that have light at the edge...-_-....

While i understand photoshop can solve these issues, I have upper management refusing to use photoshop and forcing me to do everything in LR as it can get the majority of images in and out, within faster times.
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 AM
skoobey skoobey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,278
Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

Well, you said it yourself. Trying to retouch without using Photoshop... not gonna happen.
There is no complex masking in LR.

How do you even "retouch" in LR? There are no layers? Lightroom is a raw development, and library/export tool. Just show them that it's much faster with PS.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 AM
Tony W's Avatar
Tony W Tony W is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,362
Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidsource View Post
...The reason I want LR is because I am currently retouching several images of such properties, with one single image given to me and thus, I am forced to fix much of the underexposed, overexposed parts of the raw/nef images without the proper balance ( about 80% of the time ), and in some cases i get both underexpose and overexposed in the same image just on different sides of the image. Sometimes even in one within the other ( small windows or walls that have light at the edge...-_-....

While i understand photoshop can solve these issues, I have upper management refusing to use photoshop and forcing me to do everything in LR as it can get the majority of images in and out, within faster times.
Ideally fixing in raw for under/overexposed is the best way forward including under/over in the same image using tools such as graduated filter, adjustment brush, targeted adjustments and spot removal. Finally outputting in the required file format and colour space.

IF the original capture is first class (which should include such things as even and balanced lighting) then it may be possible to stay within LR through to final output.

But for those times when you need to deal with a less than ideal capture LR limitations will hinder you and Photoshop or similar may be the only logical course of action.

You could of course edit your raw in PS ACR engine and output as required without really touching PS editing features for those occasions you get a near perfect image to work on and reserve PS for the more 'difficult' ones.

Still it may just be a case of upper management lack of understanding or not wanting to spend money on a PS package - but the monthly package CC seems to me quite reasonable and maybe justifiable ?
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 08-24-2016, 08:19 AM
voidsource voidsource is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 49
Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Well, you said it yourself. Trying to retouch without using Photoshop... not gonna happen.
There is no complex masking in LR.

How do you even "retouch" in LR? There are no layers? Lightroom is a raw development, and library/export tool. Just show them that it's much faster with PS.
Management refuses to do so. If it was up to me I would have done it in PS but I've come to see that LR is quite faster in some aspects and can handle things much more accurately and helps save some headaches that PS might otherwise wise bring.
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 08-24-2016, 08:23 AM
voidsource voidsource is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 49
Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Ideally fixing in raw for under/overexposed is the best way forward including under/over in the same image using tools such as graduated filter, adjustment brush, targeted adjustments and spot removal. Finally outputting in the required file format and colour space.

IF the original capture is first class (which should include such things as even and balanced lighting) then it may be possible to stay within LR through to final output.

But for those times when you need to deal with a less than ideal capture LR limitations will hinder you and Photoshop or similar may be the only logical course of action.

You could of course edit your raw in PS ACR engine and output as required without really touching PS editing features for those occasions you get a near perfect image to work on and reserve PS for the more 'difficult' ones.

Still it may just be a case of upper management lack of understanding or not wanting to spend money on a PS package - but the monthly package CC seems to me quite reasonable and maybe justifiable ?

Well money isn't the issue and they already have the bundle ( LR/ PS ) Package, they just find it easier to fix sometimes an image themselves with LR and therefore don't want to open PS for anything if possible.

But still I was wondering if anyone has tutorials or know of for retouching white modern homes. Thanks for replying though.
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 08-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Tulack Tulack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 162
Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

Dang. I only have tutorials on pink and yellow modern homes.
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 08-24-2016, 10:21 AM
voidsource voidsource is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 49
Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

Feel free to share that. Maybe I might learn a few things
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 PM
skoobey skoobey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,278
Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

It was a joke ahaahha a real subtle one
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 08-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Tulack Tulack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 162
Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

You are retouching pixels. Not houses. There is no difference between retouching white cat or white house. If it's too bright make it darker, it it's too dark make it brighter.
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 08-24-2016, 09:43 PM
voidsource voidsource is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 49
Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
You are retouching pixels. Not houses. There is no difference between retouching white cat or white house. If it's too bright make it darker, it it's too dark make it brighter.
Gee, why didn't I think of that? lol
And photoshop is just another editing software that does not require
tutorials, bc you know, you are just copying here placing there,
changing a pixel or two....thanks for the very helpful insight. I really,
did not know lightroom was for that.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RetouchPRO LIVE - Lightroom Tethering & Scanning Doug Nelson RetouchPRO LIVE 3 03-04-2016 02:31 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE - Lightroom via Photoshop Doug Nelson RetouchPRO LIVE 1 07-29-2015 12:16 PM
Help on editing huge files in Lightroom? JMcCloud1979 Software 3 04-24-2013 08:00 AM
Lightroom "Revert?" crazyfly1 Software 10 10-07-2012 12:44 PM
Tutorial 05: Converting a Color Image to Black and White grayscale BW DannyRaphael Photo-Art 101 17 05-22-2011 04:55 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved