RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get this high-contrast, sharpened look?

Old 09-17-2016, 01:57 AM

Re: How to get this high-contrast, sharpened look?

What's with the reasoning? Don't you think if I could ask them I wouldn't have bothered asking on this thread? Just because I worked with them in the past doesn't mean we're tight. That's why I said "worked" and not "work."

It's all good. Thanks for trying to answer my question anyway. But stay away from Tulack, he/she is a bad influence and seems to be a moron.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2016, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapogo View Post
What's with the reasoning? Don't you think if I could ask them I wouldn't have bothered asking on this thread? Just because I worked with them in the past doesn't mean we're tight. That's why I said "worked" and not "work."
Okay fair enough. You can try some other forums as well, but I don't think anyone will have an exact recipe for how to generalize this particular result. Regardless of where you ask, I suspect that most responses will be primarily based on intuition of others and what they would do in your position.

I think you'll have more success with this if you match some of the easily identifiable aspects first. These would be things like relative brightness between floor and cabinetry and certain aspects of color correction. Those should be low hanging fruit, given a sufficiently similar scene. Just keep that and any other references up while you work. Refer back to it while you work.

I don't suspect that sharpening accounts for much or any of this. The image didn't appear to contain any subtle haloing, which I associate with significant sharpening. The very grey cabinetry, the balance between indoor and outdoor brightness, and slightly saturated cabinetry were much more obvious, so I would certainly start there if I needed to work on such a thing. Matching their exact process is likely to be non-trivial unless you're able to work them again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2016, 02:50 AM

Ok, cool thanks a lot for that. It's insightful nonetheless.

It's almost a painterly look though, which is done using several methods which are close to a sharpening effect and I've gotten close, but not close enough. Arguably, this look isn't even better than a more natural look, but I'd rather have the option to do it and tweak it and know it as opposed to not quite getting there.

Thanks, klev.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2016, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Ok, cool thanks a lot for that. It's insightful nonetheless.

It's almost a painterly look though, which is done using several methods which are close to a sharpening effect and I've gotten close, but not close enough.
That was part of my earlier point. Heavy sharpening introduces blocked up shadows, halos, and other undesirable artifacts. Professional photographers can't show that to their clients, so they have to avoid overuse of such methods.

This is slightly off topic, but here's an example of a sharpening method that uses something other than an approximated gaussian kernel (what unsharp mask does). I've come across a couple implementations of this, and some haloing was still present. I think one of those downloads includes the matlab version of that algorithm, which should also run in Octave. That might be beyond your level of interest, but the comparison to unsharp masking should still be interesting.

Quote:
Arguably, this look isn't even better than a more natural look, but I'd rather have the option to do it and tweak it and know it as opposed to not quite getting there.

Thanks, klev.
You're welcome. I agree with you on the painterly thing. Painters generally rely on a more narrow palette, so that might be part of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2016, 03:50 AM

For what it's worth guys, sorry for being argumentative. You must answer a lot of the same questions from people who haven't done the research, so when I just got a link with no explanation I was a bit annoyed and already frustrated from trying to find a solution to my query.

Just because I'm asking doesn't mean I don't know anything. And of what I do know, I feel like I should know the answer to this but I'm just not good enough, really. But like I said, my own final "look" is not arguably any worse, it's just different.

As for the sharpening link, yeah that's interesting.Thanks. I try to ensure that there's no discernible haloing in my own work, and use masks and different methods to attain this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Just because I'm asking doesn't mean I don't know anything. And of what I do know, I feel like I should know the answer to this but I'm just not good enough, really. But like I said, my own final "look" is not arguably any worse, it's just different.
I might be able to offer suggestions if you post your version and repost the other. I can't guarantee anything. Sometimes it's obvious to me how I would go about it. My usual approach is to go piece by piece at first, then see what could be combined in future iterations. For example you might feel the knobs on the cabinets have a sharpened look. If I had trouble producing that, I would use masks and a drop shadow there to give it that "sharpened" outline without messing up anything else.

It's always small moves. If the changes are too large, you end up roughly the same number of steps away from your desired result. Sometimes puzzling out optimal adjustments and dealing with implementation details are both really tedious. It's hard to know without seeing something. Even then I may or may not be able to suggest a more exact plan of attack.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 AM

I guess he took his photo, and went home. The original link is broken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
What an idiot.
How about retaining some respect?

No need to cross the line, be polite. This is not Russia my friend!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
How about retaining some respect?

No need to cross the line, be polite. This is not Russia my friend!
Russia is not an anarchy. Learn some facts before insulting the whole country with your ignorance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2016, 12:16 PM

@skoobey: Out of my personal and profissional respect to my friend Doug, I will refrain from commenting on your remark and any further remarks by anyone.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching