RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get this high-contrast, sharpened look?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 PM

How to get this high-contrast, sharpened look?

In this example photo it almost looks cartoon-like in its appearance. I'm guessing it's a new sharpened layer using one of the many high contrast sharpening techniques, but I can't quite duplicate the look despite trying several methods. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2016, 08:47 PM

Re: How to get this high-contrast, sharpened look?

https://fstoppers.com/product/mike-k...architecture-1
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2016, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the input, but I use those methods and have that video. He doesn't do anything that resembles this look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2016, 01:40 PM

The techniques shown there do apply. Most of it is masking. The sharpening mumbo jumbo won't do much. Available sharpening tools are always pretty limited, so anything difficult and/or detailed comes down to lots of masking as hinted at in that video. That is how they obtained the nice metallic look on the cabinet hardware, that wood tone, and several other aspects. The sheen from those cabinets would otherwise make them appear slightly more washed out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2016, 06:43 PM

Hmm, looks like you're just guessing, but unfortunately you're wrong and can't help me. Like I said, I use the techniques in the video myself. The look in the image supplied uses the techniques (some of them) to get the photo, but the particular look is done with a specific "recipe" if you will. I worked with the people who actually took the photo, but not close enough to get the said recipe, hence my request here to see if anyone would know.

That's ok, thanks for the input anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2016, 08:57 PM

What an idiot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2016, 08:59 PM

Just because you don't know something doesn't mean you have to add input. It just wastes time. Obviously if the link you posted isn't the solution, no need to take offense to it. Just admit you don't know it. No big deal.

Edit: Actually, pretty juvenile to try to insult people just because your answer wasn't sufficient. Ok so you're a "senior member." Obviously that doesn't speak for itself because you're a moron. This forum is useless if you're "senior." What a clown.

Another Edit: Also, how stupid can you be to think Kelley's style covers every single style in that field? Do you even know anything about it? I hope people don't take your advice on this forum because from my experience you're a joke. Also, what klev says has some merit, but I've seen the workflow of the photographers in question, having worked beside them, and in this particular instance he's wrong. It's good advice in a general sense, but it's misguided in this case.

Last edited by Mapogo; 09-16-2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Additional info
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapogo View Post
Hmm, looks like you're just guessing, but unfortunately you're wrong and can't help me. Like I said, I use the techniques in the video myself. The look in the image supplied uses the techniques (some of them) to get the photo, but the particular look is done with a specific "recipe" if you will. I worked with the people who actually took the photo, but not close enough to get the said recipe, hence my request here to see if anyone would know.

That's ok, thanks for the input anyway.
I believe you should reconsider your expectations of random strangers. If you have worked with these people, you should ask them. They may be willing to tell you what they did. You may or may not be able to reproduce it on your own.

When someone asks a question like this, I consider how I would go about it if someone asked me to make a particular image feel similar to this one. I identify what parts would be exceptionally difficult to produce in camera and which things are in direct conflict with respect to color correction. I gave you reasonable advice on how to approach it. If you expected an accurate depiction of how they produced it, you are simply out of line.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 PM

No, you're out of line. You totally disregarded that I said I had the video and use the methods yet you still said that the techniques do apply. So I called you out on it, because you were in fact just guessing. Which is fine, because all we can base it on is what we see. I myself am guessing as to how to replicate the look because I don't know.

I think the problem is that you guys think too highly of yourselves. It's ok not to know something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapogo View Post
No, you're out of line. You totally disregarded that I said I had the video and use the methods yet you still said that the techniques do apply. So I called you out on it, because you were in fact just guessing. Which is fine, because all we can base it on is what we see. I myself am guessing as to how to replicate the look because I don't know.

I think the problem is that you guys think too highly of yourselves. It's ok not to know something.
I indicated exactly how I would approach it. I highlighted the need to mask and color correct individual portions, because it's the thing that people seem to skip over most frequently. Beyond that you claim that you have worked with these guys, yet you haven't even shown how close you came to their results. What do you really expect from my response? Why haven't you asked the guys that created that if you actually know them?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching