RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

color cast

Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Re: color cast

No, isolate a subject, then use RED sliders. It's the RED that has a lot of magenta to it. If it were magenta, they would be all pink, and if it were cyan those people would look like Smurfs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
Use color balance.
You fixed nothing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2016, 06:09 PM

I used Camera Raw white balance dropper on the warm gray bkgd. HSL sliders to tone down the red & magenta in mainly the man's skin. It might look a little bland but has less cast in it. I also neutralized the shadows.

Using save for web took away some of the color work because I had to reduce the size of the file so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unspecified.jpg (95.8 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2016, 10:49 AM

Use curves. Reduce blue slightly, add red to about a third the amount of blue you removed (or to taste - mine might be a bit warm for you). Lighten image slightly. Lift highlights slightly. reduce saturation very slightly (again to taste).

DSC_0839WEBsm3.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0839WEBsm.jpg (71.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by lloyd709; 09-26-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Using a brand new 27" iMac with retina display. Color is awesome! Skoobey, I'll try to isolate the magenta and cyan and see what happens. Guess I was looking for an easy fix!
Awesome is not quantifiable. For what it's worth, Apple does a terrible job with displays. They have reduced glare somewhat, but it's still problematic unless you work in very low lighting. There are no calibration options for it beyond typical profiling. The default profile is generic. Apple figures that it's good enough for most people, but "awesome" is really misleading. As others have pointed out, that shirt throws your eye off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Awesome is not quantifiable. For what it's worth, Apple does a terrible job with displays. They have reduced glare somewhat, but it's still problematic unless you work in very low lighting. There are no calibration options for it beyond typical profiling. The default profile is generic. Apple figures that it's good enough for most people, but "awesome" is really misleading. As others have pointed out, that shirt throws your eye off.
It's not top-level, but is industry standard set-up. So, iMac is more than good enough. Not everyone needs a 5k monitor, and even most of those that use one don't actually need it. I know many stock photographers and wedding photographers that filter their images to shreds and use NECs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
It's not top-level, but is industry standard set-up. So, iMac is more than good enough.
I addressed two specific things. The glare is annoying. The logic of suggesting new display == accurate is bad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
this photo was taken with the camera inadvertendly set for flourescent lighting. I've tried everything I can think of to correct the color. Any suggestions?
Considering the boy's shirt is black and the stripes on her shirt are white, placed colour samplers on both and balanced the RGB values; corrected for the yellow cast in the shadows with selective colour applications; selected the subjects to a new layer, used the clone stamp to remove the current shadows and used a drop shadow on the subject layer to add back. Finished with selective sharpening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0839WEB72.jpg (95.7 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2016, 06:27 PM

Much closer, now there are only few issues left. Boys have parts of their faces lit with weird yellow, and the man is very magenta. But great progress overall.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Well, I'm not seeing the 'weird yellow' on the faces on my monitor and I did leave the man's face as 'magenta' as you see it as I was unsure of how far to back it off versus realistic.
Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching