RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

best enviroment to retouch in?

Old 09-21-2016, 04:33 PM

Re: best enviroment to retouch in?

I think that my eyes get very tired in a completely dark room, I can't work under those conditions.

Last edited by skoobey; 09-21-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
I think that my eyes get very tired in a completely dark room, I can't work under those conditions.
Your eyes get tired if your room is dark and your display is really bright. While this may be necessary if you're trying to match a proof viewed under a very bright source such as a viewing booth (most of these systems specify 160 cd/m^2), it's not usually a good idea. High quality displays can produce good results relative to validation targets at 80-100 cd/m^2 white points. Your eyes won't tired quickly at that brightness level, even if that's the only light source. I have used this setup. If display and environment are too bright, it throws off my judgement (granted I don't do a lot of retouching these days).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 AM

IDK, i think I've found a sweet spot with dimmed lights and monitor at just above mid point on the brightness scale. I don't get tired easily, and I can still do things around the office.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2016, 03:01 AM

That makes sense if it works well for you. My point stands that it's better to go darker than brighter. I've seen people do some very silly things. The silliest was someone who used an imac with a mirror-like like screen and improperly controlled lighting. That was pretty extreme though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2016, 10:48 AM

ANY ambient light that strikes the display affects your perception of black which affects your perception of the image! And some of us have the capabilities to calibrate our displays to specific contrast ratio by means of adjusting black. Ambient light can hose that approach.
http://digitaldog.net/files/BlackisBack.pdf
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 PM

It's everyone's right to obsess. I know that so many times clients are not looking at calibrated monitors, printers are not implementing profiles, and pictures optimized for web or print end up on all sorts of media. If you have a reasonably precise display, and know what you are doing you'll get a good result is the bottom of it.

Andrew, klev, and others are right, but you can have your window if you like it, just have an option to dim that light completely if needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I know that so many times clients are not looking at calibrated monitors, printers are not implementing profiles, and pictures optimized for web or print end up on all sorts of media
Setting up an ideal condition for the display and editing has little to do with what other's see. We can rarely control that. It has everything to do with what I see and how it affects how I edit a big pile of numbers that appear as images.
I don't know what a 'reasonable' display means. I know what qualities I require in a color references display system. Which again, is all about what I see and what I get from that big pile of numbers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Setting up an ideal condition for the display and editing has little to do with what other's see. We can rarely control that. It has everything to do with what I see and how it affects how I edit a big pile of numbers that appear as images.
I don't know what a 'reasonable' display means. I know what qualities I require in a color references display system. Which again, is all about what I see and what I get from that big pile of numbers.
I agree - everything begins with what you see.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching