Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Frequency Separation without the Contrast Group

Old 10-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Frequency Separation without the Contrast Group

Is there a way to do Frequency Separation without utilizing the Contrast Blend Modes Group?

Due to the nature of editing I am doing using standard Frequency Separation techniques leads to unpleasant ghosting/ringing/halo type artifacts that build up with every step. Specifically, both the Gaussian Blur/High pass filter type Frequency separations "move/diffuse" the pixels ever so slightly and then the Contrast Blend modes accentuate that effect further by propagating it up and down the layer stack.

Is it possible to isolate the high frequency and the low frequency details on separate layers and have them stacked in a regular pass-through stacking modes, such as normal or the difference group? I want to have higher layers not interact with lower layers and vise versa.

I have attempted to do such extractions using the difference blend modes group "isolating" the details and placing them on top of an image that had the details subtracted away. However, the detail selections and the tone selections always seem to be partial in nature so the image looses it's full opacity and one can "see thought the image" down to the background layer. Turning off the background layer reveals the partial nature of the image and both details and tones look "ghostly". Repeating the process builds up the opacity but is very cumbersome.

Any advice?

Thank you very much.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Re: Frequency Separation without the Contrast Grou

Seems like you are the only one in the whole world having this problem. Doing it right should help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Re: Frequency Separation without the Contrast Grou

Haloing happens when you use gaussian blur. I would just drop the use of frequency separation, as it doesn't help much anyway. Your described attempts to fix this are over-engineered. I would never do something like that, because even if I can get that kind of nonsense to work on a test case, it's likely to break later on some other image.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching