RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Gaussian blur without actually gaussian blurring.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:57 PM

Gaussian blur without actually gaussian blurring.

Hey guys!

So often times when I'm going through my dodge and burn procedure, I find it extremely useful to just throw my eyes out of focus to see light inconsistencies on a model's face, and overall shape the face the way I want to. I find that I don't focus on particular spots of skin, and instead see the overall image. But naturally, after a while, this puts a bit of unnecessary strain on my eyes.

I'm wondering if there's a way to basically blur out the image on top so that I can still see whatever I'm doing underneath the blur, instead of seeing a permanently blurred copy of the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 PM

Re: Gaussian blur without actually gaussian blurri

Zoom out. Same thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Zoom out. Same thing.
Aghh, I wish. It's so hard to be precise zoomed out. Maybe if I take a step ten feet back LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadwing View Post
Aghh, I wish. It's so hard to be precise zoomed out. Maybe if I take a step ten feet back LOL
How far do you zoom in? 100% is typically the furthest you should go for most things. Much of the precision is handled by dexterity and good tool settings. I usually suggest drawing exercises done with the tablet. I do the same thing if I don't use the wacom tablet for a long period of time.

Another thing to look at is your tablet to screen mapping. If it's weird, drawing simple shapes will feel unnatural. You might compensate by zooming in, but then you're hurting yourself twice.

Also your eyes will get tired much faster if you set your display brightness too high. I keep mine under 100cd/m^2. It still looks great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
How far do you zoom in? 100% is typically the furthest you should go for most things. Much of the precision is handled by dexterity and good tool settings. I usually suggest drawing exercises done with the tablet. I do the same thing if I don't use the wacom tablet for a long period of time.

Another thing to look at is your tablet to screen mapping. If it's weird, drawing simple shapes will feel unnatural. You might compensate by zooming in, but then you're hurting yourself twice.

Also your eyes will get tired much faster if you set your display brightness too high. I keep mine under 100cd/m^2. It still looks great.
I usually start with broad strokes, so I'll rid the most obvious stuff first, then I'll zoom in to no more than 100% for retouching. I own a 5DSR now, so I avoid going much further than 75% because of the resolution, especially given 95% of my images are seldom exported at anything other than 2048px on the long edge.

I'm pretty comfortable with my tablet for the most part. My wrist doesn't really get tired, and I'm fairly precise with it.

I'll try calibrating to 100cd/m^2 instead. I've just noticed that many of my images appear to be overexposed when I set it to this setting. I'll give it another shot though to see if it helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I usually start with broad strokes, so I'll rid the most obvious stuff first, then I'll zoom in to no more than 100% for retouching. I own a 5DSR now, so I avoid going much further than 75% because of the resolution, especially given 95% of my images are seldom exported at anything other than 2048px on the long edge.

I'm pretty comfortable with my tablet for the most part. My wrist doesn't really get tired, and I'm fairly precise with it.
Huh.. that's probably not the problem then. Some people zoom in to 200 or 300%, which causes them to lose perspective. I wanted to at least rule out the low hanging fruit in terms of potential problems, but none of it has matched so far.

If you happen to wear glasses or contacts, your eyes may get tired faster. I had a rather strong prescription, which caused this.

Quote:
I'll try calibrating to 100cd/m^2 instead. I've just noticed that many of my images appear to be overexposed when I set it to this setting. I'll give it another shot though to see if it helps.
I have never experienced an over-exposed appearance. It sounds like contrast is bad at lower brightness levels on that display. It shouldn't be on the Eizo, as most of theirs are designed to hold up down to 80cd/m^2. I remember the old Apple cinema displays with aluminum casing. Those things were way too bright, which gave me a headache.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching