RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Graident Mask inside an adjustment layer mask?

Old 02-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Graident Mask inside an adjustment layer mask?

What I want is a multi directional gradient style mask over a normal adjustment mask. I would like to know how to do it. Please see explanation below.

I have a mask of an object with me. I would like to use a gradient styled edge on the mask. It's a flat 2D polygon. Basically I want to make it somewhat 3D so as the light is projected on it head-on. Right now dodge and burn on 50% grey fill on the mask of it is working which is okay and time consuming. How exactly can I put a gradient mask on top of the already existing mask I have so as the edges are darker and gradually become lighter towards the inside. So far, I only know to put a gradient mask on top of the mask so as it is one way. I would like to do that in the * style where the center is the highlight and the edge ends are the darkest points of the shadows. Using several gradients from different directions work but there might be a better easier way to achieve this. Hope you get the idea.

Another example: Let's say its a square shaped mask. I want a gradient mask on top of it so it kind of looks like a vignette.

My ultimate aim with this is to learn how to make my masks have some sort of a feather with darker edges.

Also cannot use the radial gradient because it is more suited for a circle and not for something like a polygon or an irregularly shaped mask.

Want to learn this so I can apply the same concept on dodging and burning in some tweaked out way on several other geometrical shaped objects.

Please note I am still learning the basics so I am not aware of most available tools. Sorry if it's a very basic question. I am using Photoshop CC.

Last edited by beefhitler; 02-07-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 09:35 AM

Re: Graident Mask inside an adjustment layer mask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefhitler View Post
My ultimate aim with this is to learn how to make my masks have some sort of a feather with darker edges.
Let's start with this (see the linked picture).

1. Open a hue/saturation adjustment layer above the image layer, pull the Lightness slider to the left to darken the entire image, and draw an elliptical selection (Elliptical Marquee Tool).

2. With the hue/sat layer mask active, fill the selected area with black.

3. In the hue/sat properties panel, use the feather slider to feather the selection. You can re-adjust that later if you need to. Tweak the Lightness slider to make the vignette darker or lighter according to your preference.

https://s29.postimg.org/fwru12cfb/vignette.jpg

I don't quite follow your description about the polygon. Maybe if you post a picture that shows the result you're after on that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina81 View Post
Let's start with this (see the linked picture).

1. Open a hue/saturation adjustment layer above the image layer, pull the Lightness slider to the left to darken the entire image, and draw an elliptical selection (Elliptical Marquee Tool).

2. With the hue/sat layer mask active, fill the selected area with black.

3. In the hue/sat properties panel, use the feather slider to feather the selection. You can re-adjust that later if you need to. Tweak the Lightness slider to make the vignette darker or lighter according to your preference.

https://s29.postimg.org/fwru12cfb/vignette.jpg

I don't quite follow your description about the polygon. Maybe if you post a picture that shows the result you're after on that?
Thanks for the explanation. But what I am looking for is not the typical elliptical/circular/radial gradient vignette.

Imagine the mask of a stone. It is irregularly shaped. What we get by default is a mask with sharp edge. I want a mask of it where the outer edge is sharp as its by default BUT the inner part of the mask should have a gradient which gradually lightens towards the center of the stone. This gradual gradient form should be there from each point on the edge towards the center. If we do a typical elliptical/radial/circular gradient on it... it is.. geometrical. That gradient's inner edges are not taking the shape of the irregular shape the stone has. I want the gradient to be taking the shape of the irregular shape. The feather should be towards the inside of the mask and the outer edge should remain sharp as it comes by default. Are you getting it?

Hope this explains.

I have failed to find any image to show it sorry. But I hope the above explanation makes it a little easier if not all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefhitler View Post
I want a mask of it where the outer edge is sharp as its by default BUT the inner part of the mask should have a gradient which gradually lightens towards the center of the stone. This gradual gradient form should be there from each point on the edge towards the center. If we do a typical elliptical/radial/circular gradient on it... it is.. geometrical. That gradient's inner edges are not taking the shape of the irregular shape the stone has. I want the gradient to be taking the shape of the irregular shape. The feather should be towards the inside of the mask and the outer edge should remain sharp as it comes by default. Are you getting it?
No, I'm not getting it at all. How about a picture of the sort of "irregular stone" you're trying to describe, but without the gradient
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Patron

Have you looked at the blending modes and adding an inner glow and playing with all the parameters?

Maybe well off here but it may help to get you where you want to go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (188.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 PM

Draw your outline with path or lasso. Save as a selection. Then go menu bar 'select', and drop down options 'modify' and 'contract'. Then 'feather' (soften edge) this selection to taste. After, retrieve your original saved outline selection ('load selection') and combine the two shapes as per the relevant options offered i.e. 'add to selection'. Voila! Or draw a selection and use the 'properties' tool to both expand, contract or soften the edges. So many ways to achieve what you require.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Draw your outline with path or lasso. Save as a selection. Then go menu bar 'select', and drop down options 'modify' and 'contract'. Then 'feather' (soften edge) this selection to taste. After, retrieve your original saved outline selection ('load selection') and combine the two shapes as per the relevant options offered i.e. 'add to selection'. Voila! Or draw a selection and use the 'properties' tool to both expand, contract or soften the edges. So many ways to achieve what you require.
Can you show us what you just described? I have absolutely no idea what your invisible image would have looked like before or after your edits were applied.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 PM

I thought Tony's image was yours Sabrina. I'll post a visual over the weekend.
(Avebury, Tony?).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Patron

Quote:
I thought Tony's image was yours Sabrina. I'll post a visual over the weekend.
(Avebury, Tony?).
Hi R
I think it probably is but tbh just looked for a free to use rock on the interwebby
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I thought Tony's image was yours Sabrina.
No, it isn't.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching