RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

ICC false profiles for color grading/correction

Old 02-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Re: ICC false profiles for color grading/correctio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoku View Post
You just don't get it. There are many ways to skin a cat, or to retouch (adjust) an image.
The narrower the mind, the broader the statement.
The reason there's so much ignorance on the subject of color management, is that those who have it are so eager to share it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
The so called 'false profile' edits the numbers eventually because you need to convert the data. And outside an ICC aware application, it does absolutely nothing!
Yes. Although invisible to the naked eye, a few minor quantization errors associated with such color conversions (convert to profile) always occur.

This thing about gamma adjustment is interesting because one does not have to put an adjustment layer on someone else file:

Quote:
This assignment is not the final adjustment, just a quick way to get closer to what the client expects.
Also, I am not really sure that doing the same with Photoshop tools will preserve color integrity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
Yes. Although invisible to the naked eye, a few minor quantization errors associated with such color conversions (convert to profile) always occur.
Yes. And this is all done in high bit, even if the image data isn't. Kind of moot.
Any edit to the numbers will do the same. Work in high bit.
Quote:
Yet, the thing about gamma adjustment is interesting because one does not have to put an adjustment layer on someone else file:
Also, I am not really sure that doing the same with Photoshop traditional tools will preserve color integrity.
Again, there's no free lunch here. Use the right tool for the right job. Or use a kludge; doesn't really matter to me. But the text about what the Assign Profile command was intended for above is rubbish.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Also, I am not really sure that doing the same with Photoshop tools will preserve color integrity.
What you are trying to do is perfect the appearance of the file before final conversion. If a gamma adjustment will help get you there that's the correct tool to use.

It may not be the technically correct usage of Assign Profile, according to some aficionados, but it works none the less.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
It may not be the technically correct usage of Assign Profile, according to some aficionados, but it works none the less.
No images were retouched with a false profile or otherwise ;-)
https://www.pinterest.com/kurtbwhite...-no-kludge-it/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2017, 02:34 AM

Guys, kindly please check this free PS Panel
http://cc-extensions.com/products/falseprofile/
and read the documentation

For the color corrections, you can use icc profiles device link and abstract classes using color lookup adjustment layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2017, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZStudio View Post
For the color corrections, you can use icc profiles device link and abstract classes using color lookup adjustment layer.
I'd rather skip color lookup adjustment layer as it's meant for CS6.

Yet, I may want to investigate deeper into device link and abstract classes which come technically closest to a film LUT.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2017, 08:47 AM

http://www.basiccolor.de/devicelink-en/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2017, 03:24 PM

As far as I understand, input and output colours are sampled from the image before and after the manipulation. This image is supposed to be an artificial reference strip of samples (a number of coloured pixels evenly spread over the range of possible colour values).

The sample strip is affected by all the same manipulations as the image itself. Basically, two copies of an image are created, the first one is manipulated and the result is stored. A look profile is created from the manipulation and applied to the second copy.

I believe this possibly is how the Kodak ColorFlow plug-in was supposed to work as well.

I wonder how I can bake a 3d lut inside an abstract profile (LAB to LAB mappings inserted between the source and destination profile).

https://www.velocityreviews.com/thre...ofiles.969379/

Last edited by marameo; 02-10-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I wonder how I can bake a 3d lut inside an abstract profile (LAB to LAB mappings inserted between the source and destination prof
https://www.velocityreviews.com/thre...ofiles.969379/[le).
I wonder why you want to do this. I tried to think of possible reasons, such as weird colors being clamped in your source space, yet there are superior ways of handling those circumstances. Most of the time there isn't much of an advantage in applying something in LAB. People do it when the correlation of RGB channels is problematic, but they don't do it using ICC profiles. If RGB is unsuitable for something (I could link a couple examples, but they would be research papers), don't use it.

Ultimately people do nonsense like this when they're trying to work around a very bad design (and yeah ICC profiles have a very ugly design). Otherwise it wouldn't be a consideration, because it introduces potential problems and doesn't clearly solve anything.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching