RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

ICC false profiles for color grading/correction

Old 02-08-2017, 04:03 PM

ICC false profiles for color grading/correction

Hi,

I run across this old article about false profiling: "the generation and intentional assignment of a false profile to an RGB file with the idea of fooling Photoshop during subsequent colorspace con versions".

One can control gamma, white balance and RGB primaries (xy) to create a false profile to color grade the image without going about the usual Photoshop tools. Also, in a master file different icc versions of the same photo can be locally revealed and hidden through masking.

Do you think this old and unusual method can still provide a solid way for color grading?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 07:07 PM

Re: ICC false profiles for color grading/correctio

There is no such thing as a "False Profile".
You're not doing anything special or useful; a conversion takes place between the color spaces at some point. All you're doing is altering the preview when you assign a profile to data. The data doesn't change until and when you convert to some other color space. Then, the edit applies and the edit could have been applied using any other 'standard' Photoshop tools (like curves).

This is akin to taking an image that appears too dark and cranking up the brightness on your display.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2017, 09:45 PM

That sounds way too complicated. I don't like overly convoluted hacks. Even if they appear to generate acceptable results under normal circumstances, they tend to break in unexpected ways.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
There is no such thing as a "False Profile".
By the way, I wonder if there is a way to abotain this discontinued plug-in for CS5 under windows: Kodak Colorflow Custom Color Tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Then, the edit applies and the edit could have been applied using any other 'standard' Photoshop tools (like curves).
Yet, anytime an edit is applied to a pixel (curves et al) numbers are altered resulting in data loss or "quantization errors" (depending on bit depth). Does converting from the "artistic" profile to "regular" profile (Adobe RGB) cause the same loss?

Thanks

Last edited by marameo; 02-09-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 04:16 AM
Patron

If you look at the images displayed in this 15 year old article you may find that there is nothing shown that cannot be achieved simply in more recent versions of PS e.g. using curves and/or hue sat layers without jumping in and out of different profiles. In fact I am not too sure that they could not have been done at the time in CS2 without the profile jumping

AFAIK, as I have not used it, the Kodak Colorflow tools were designed for altering ICC profiles. If you can still get hold of it there is no guarantee that it will still function with newer versions PS.

If you really want to play around with profiles you may want to investigate Adobe DNG profile editor (FOC), you can make some pretty accurate or wildly screwed profiles if that is what you want
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
If you really want to play around with profiles you may want to investigate Adobe DNG profile editor (FOC)
I believe that is not my kind of thing: I'd rather go with ArgyllCMS. Yet, Kodak plug-in would be THE one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 06:04 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
I believe that is not my kind of thing: I'd rather go with ArgyllCMS. Yet, Kodak plug-in would be THE one.
Argyl/DNG does pretty much the same thing.

Want a plugin rather than manual adjust using PS have you looked at 3D LUT Creator?
http://3dlutcreator.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Want a plugin rather than manual adjust using PS have you looked at 3D LUT Creator?
Also really cool. Yet, being based on CS5 I am not able to load .cube 3d luts profiles. Unless, there is an affordable way to convert 3d lut to icc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Patron

Quote:
Also really cool. Yet, being based on CS5 I am not able to load .cube 3d luts profiles. Unless, there is an affordable way to convert 3d lut to icc.
Ahh, yes CS5 will be a problem, I do not think you could use LUTS in the same way you can with CS6 and later.

TBH, I cannot see that you will be at a loss to use either DNG convertor or Argyl if that is your preference. As long as you know which way your images need to go and it is worth making a new profile either should do the job.

Not used Argyl as so far Adobe DNG pretty good for the job in hand. Assuming that you are not wanting to go for accurate or even necessarily pleasing colour (that is what they were designed for) but rather an effect that you can automatically apply to other images then why not give them a try?

Quick play with no particular direction in mind producing my own PSP's (Pretty S*** Profiles) version 1 and 2 above and below original attached.
Could have done the same in PS of course and in these cases pretty easy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DNGConverterSample.jpg (197.6 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
By the way, I wonder if there is a way to abotain this discontinued plug-in for CS5 under windows: Kodak Colorflow Custom Color Tools.

Yet, anytime an edit is applied to a pixel (curves et al) numbers are altered resulting in data loss or "quantization errors" (depending on bit depth). Does converting from the "artistic" profile to "regular" profile (Adobe RGB) cause the same loss?

Thanks
Custom Color ICC is a profile editor and a superb one at that but is no longer supported, sold or will run in Photoshop (I have a copy that still runs on an old Mac under Photoshop CS2).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching