RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Golden sunny tint

Old 02-26-2017, 03:36 AM

Re: Golden sunny tint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina81 View Post
For a deeper tanned look: Select skin tones, open a B&W adjustment layer (the selection will create a mask), change blend mode to Multiply
Yes, I remember your suggestion about hue/sat in multiply mode and then play with opacity and saturation slider and that worked great.

All methods provide good skin tone but what it's missing is the glare or the foggy effect. I was considering a solid color layer adjustment in soft light mode and paint with a soft brush in linear light (add).

On a seperate note, what happens technically when I paste the cyan channel into a new layer in the current RGB document and change its blending mode?

I have found that the cyan channel in linear light brings back a lot of detail and that could be used for toning (dodging) and sharpening as well. Also, the yellow channel in multiply can be used for toning (burning). Each of them in a seperate group with a hide all mask where I can paint with a soft brush to reveal the effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2017, 05:37 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
People just don't want to believe that retouching includes introducing color, not just fixing what's there.
Care to expand on that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
what it's missing is the glare or the foggy effect.
Fog and glare are very different. Can you post an image that has the effect you're trying to describe?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Am I in the right direction?

Thanks
No. You are making it way too complicated. When you make things this complicated, it takes many hours to achieve something worse than you could accomplish in (at most) 2-3 hours total.

This was definitely not shot on film, and it doesn't even look like film. You get the softer light from the diffusion and reflection. It was shot using window light or a simulation of that. Either way you have a large source, which you can see from the highlights in the eyes. You achieve appropriate contrast by darkening one side of the face a bit, although you might have to pay attention to the anatomy when you create masks for that purpose. It's just darkening an existing shadow. The eyes stand out, because they're at least slightly retouched. You adjust them to balance out the image and the gaze.

This is one of the most straightforward images you have linked to date. Don't complicate it. When you talk about highlights and shadows, photoshop has algorithms which allow it to decide what constitutes a highlight or shadow, and they may not coincide with what you want. When you keep things simple, you leave less room for the software to break them.

Quote:
I found an image and applied what I believe is a golden tint and some glare. I may have overdone it though. I realize color grading has a lot to do with local adjustmens while this is only global effect. Yet, it's a start.
This is a terrible approach, but your choice of image isn't helping. It won't look realistic there. The idea of a global effect is completely wrong. You achieve most of the falloff on the subject by way of lighting. The rest of it can be achieved with typical color correction methods. You might need to adjust some areas more than others, which is why you need to make local corrections.

I suspect you will make a lot more progress when you stop making everything so complicated. Also don't worry about torturing pixels or LAB. Torturing pixels tends to make banding more visible. It's because integer math has to work with whole numbers, so 5/2 becomes 2 rather than 2.5 (yes it rounds down by convention).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
This was definitely not shot on film, and it doesn't even look like film. You get the softer light from the diffusion and reflection. It was shot using window light or a simulation of that. Either way you have a large source, which you can see from the highlights in the eyes.
By the way those are other images from the same session:

http://www.freebirdprod.com/wsj-alas...ett-johansson/

(It's very usual for this photographer to shoot on film)

One more cover for the same magazine:

http://cdn.thefashionography.com/wp-...une-2013-5.jpg

Also, this made me think about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
People just don't want to believe that retouching includes introducing color, not just fixing what's there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Also, this made me think about:
I understand. Some of them have a more film-like appearance, but you can certainly reproduce the first without it. Scanned color negative film often has that slightly magenta highlight. It also tends to mute things like bright clothing.

Your problem remains that you make things too complicated. Your adjustments aren't even in the same direction. That image had no more contrast or saturation than the image you started with, yet you added contrast to yours. You made the images less similar.

I don't think they're a good match to begin with, but if I look at them, I try to compare relationships between elements. How does each subject compare to their background? How do the shadows compare to highlights? What's the overall range of the image like?

Instead of doing this, it looks like you tried to generate things via blending modes and color space conversions. Those kinds of things are generally an absolute last resort, because they make it much harder to go back and adjust the image a day or two later.

You might have an easier time if you picked an image that's closer to the one you're trying to match, then temporarily forbid yourself from using anything other than curves and brightness contrast. Also forbid yourself from adding contrast over any significant portion of the image, because that's a trap in itself.

Part of the problem with the image you chose (I realize it's a random one off the internet) is that the lighting isn't very good. It makes her cheek look flat, but the highlights are already pretty bright. You're not going to match that target by picking a bad image and following it up by trying to choose the right toolset. It completely misses the point of where they diverge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:

I don't think either of those examples involves Photoshop tricks, such as filters or blend modes. It's all in the lighting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
You might have an easier time if you picked an image that's closer to the one you're trying to match, then temporarily forbid yourself from using anything other than curves and brightness contrast.
One question about curves. I have watched a RetouchPRO video fo Chris Tarantino where the curve is in ink-pigment and so all the curves are upside down to me. Is there any benefit in working this way?

Thanks

Last edited by marameo; 03-01-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Patron

Cannot think of any advantage unless you know what you are doing with CMYK and you are going press - note not inkjet printer

From a photographers POV a characteristic neg. film curve runs as shown for light, dark tones to left highlights to right.
Transparency curves can also be displayed this way or as you say upside down

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...1419568377079/

Last edited by Tony W; 03-01-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2017, 11:38 AM

If you have elements that don't fit the color palette, you change them to fit, that includes everything from colorizing to multiple raw conversions. No way that is the out-of the camera.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching