RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Golden sunny tint

Old 03-01-2017, 12:47 PM

Re: Golden sunny tint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Cannot think of any advantage unless you know what you are doing with CMYK and you are going press
In addition to the pigment-ink curve I can see total ink % in the info palette and then "weight and balance" concept is mentioned as well as "quarters" (3/4 - 4/4 midtones) so most of the retoucher mindset comes from pre press. Also those images end up on magazines and that makes me wonder if one should pick a book about retouching before photoshop became the industry standard.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM

No, but they should pick up a book on art before they start creating it.

Last edited by skoobey; 03-02-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
One question about curves. I have watched a RetouchPRO video fo Chris Tarantino where the curve is in ink-pigment and so all the curves are upside down to me. Is there any benefit in working this way?

Thanks
I suspect he started a very long time ago and may have a certain familiar workflow. Even if this is the case, I can't imagine that he complicates things more than necessary. I have been stuck many times. If I'm not sure what to do, I try to match specific things, which may not be primarily driven through global adjustments, and I avoid anything that is likely to block up shadow detail.

Most of the time the impact of the looks you pick out is really driven by small details that balance it out more than the broader ones. It seems counter-intuitive, but if an image appears flat, you typically would not want to add much contrast. The problem is more often one of balance. It's one of those ways in which your eyes can fool you.

I tend to take simplicity to the extreme, because I lack anything resembling an attention span.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
If you have elements that don't fit the color palette, you change them to fit, that includes everything from colorizing to multiple raw conversions.
While plain curve modifies existing pixel, is a curve on a desaturate layer similar to colorizing? (then one would bring down the opacity - sort of desaturate/resaturate). Also, when you suggest the channel mixer in luminosity mode, is that with the monochrome checked where the total amont must stay 100%? This seems similar to using a black and white adjustment layer blended in luminosity mode and playing with the sliders.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2017, 04:31 PM

So, for example one could put three channel mixer layers in luminosity mode where each one pushes red, green and blue (monochrome, total=100%) and then adjust the blend-if sliders to reveal the effect inly on the highlights, midtones and shadows.

http://photoblogstop.com/wp-content/...tment-web1.jpg

So channel mixer 1 will push the luminosity of the red in the highlight etc...

On top of that a curve can be used to slightly tint the image/skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2017, 06:55 PM

It doesn't matter if the result is 100%, you're chasing the result, not what was there prior. And I'm sure some gamma fanatic will be criticizing me for saying that, as always... Monochrome or not, if your layer is set to luminosity it'll affect luminosity of everything underneath. You can use the sliders, yes. But, why do yo have to make everything so complicated? I think you're trying to do too much with global, and not enough with local adjustments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
So, for example one could put three channel mixer layers in luminosity mode where each one pushes red, green and blue (monochrome, total=100%) and then adjust the blend-if sliders to reveal the effect inly on the highlights, midtones and shadows.

http://photoblogstop.com/wp-content/...tment-web1.jpg

So channel mixer 1 will push the luminosity of the red in the highlight etc...

On top of that a curve can be used to slightly tint the image/skin.
Again they're making it more complicated than necessary. As you add additional parameters, you have to tune them. It's not always possible to get those parameters right for every part of the image, so many people subdivide the task via masks of varying complexity.

Blend if sliders sometimes leave very rough outlines that you may not spot immediately. Also be careful with tweaking things that way. It's easy to make things look unnatural. Also be careful with your two layer approach there. You're effectively making them dependent on each other, and 2 way dependencies tend to make things more complicated. It's not clear that it would be possible to tune one then the other independently.

If you really are interested in image processing at a somewhat lower level, python is a better tool than photoshop. My personal recommendation would be scikit image. It's very powerful and it's at least somewhat approachable in the sense that you can use it without knowing anything about programming.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2017, 04:55 AM

For exemple, color balance does not have pivot points; highlight midtones and shadows are fixed. With blend-if there is more control over the range of luminosity. One can add a solid color layer in softlight and with blend-if decide the blending area.

The idea of behind multiple channel mixers (at least two) was to provide a bit more of depth rather using just a single channel mixer layer in luminosity mode - pushing one channel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2017, 06:52 AM

Those are my attempts with this technique (double channel mixer). Skin on the belly seems to have a bit more depth:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2-original.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ntitled-11.jpg

Although my aaim it to obtain more of an orangy skin:

https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b1&oe=593404D4
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
For exemple, color balance does not have pivot points; highlight midtones and shadows are fixed. With blend-if there is more control over the range of luminosity. One can add a solid color layer in softlight and with blend-if decide the blending area.

The idea of behind multiple channel mixers (at least two) was to provide a bit more of depth rather using just a single channel mixer layer in luminosity mode - pushing one channel.
I use luminosity masks for that, not blend if sliders. Color balance works great when used locally.
Depth can never be achieved any other way than DNB because it'll look choppy. You want smooth transitions.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching