RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Golden sunny tint

Old 02-24-2017, 12:19 PM

Golden sunny tint

Hi,

I understand this might have been asked a lot before. In this picture the subject is standing by the window so it's supposed to be just natural light:

http://syndication.artpartner.com/Co.../1/AP12418.jpg

Could be that this ha been shot on film. Yet, how they got the golden sunny tint?

I am experimenting with gradient layer set on linear light (add) and reduce the fill; I clip a hue/sat and set it to colorize and play with sat/and hue. Lightness is brought down to show some of the effect. This way I get a bit of fog/glare effect which is nice but far from the finished image above. The overall density is affected. The other way I am experimenting is with color balance and luminosity masks (based on the red and blue channels + calculations) so I can set yellowith highlight but again I believe to be far from that. I understand some masking might be required in order to dial down some yellow so that it doesn't look like everything is yellow.

Am I in the right direction?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Patron

Re: Golden sunny tint

You are guessing that the subject is standing by a window. It could just as easily be a studio set with a tall softbox as the main light plus a fill from low camera right.

There is no indication that this has been shot on film but that does not mean it has not.

The golden sunny tint is easily achievable with either a scanned film or digital image regardless of the colour of the illuminant.

Select an area of background just close to right side of hair and click on grey dropper. This will get you very close to the look of a typical camera neutral profile or most neutral looking slide film, in either of the scenarios listed above.

I think the direction you are going is complicating the whole process of getting a nice looking image where attention to detail with light source and balancing the shadows with fill is the first step then a relatively simple application of WB in raw will do the job or adding another step by going into PS and selecting your colour tool of choice
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
I think the direction you are going is complicating the whole process of getting a nice looking image
The idea came when I realized that using some (tinted) fog and playing with opacity (fill) the density of the image can be decreased. Blending can be softlight, screen or linear dodge (add). I believe that if the highlights appears to have an overall color cast the mind will assume the rest of the image also has that color cast. So, for instante, the right part of the image may not have had a proper fill but that can be recovered by putting some glare (I happen to see that a lot in cinematography).

Also, I am interested in the idea of mixing a base color with a tinted fog just to experiment. Has anyone tried this already?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2017, 05:31 PM

OK, first post here, but not new to PS.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me as though a Curves adjustment in the b channel in Lab mode would accomplish this effect. Effectively, you would be introducing a yellow color cast into the image, but still have control of the amount of change in the highlights and shadows.

So, did I misunderstand the question?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
Hi,

I understand this might have been asked a lot before. In this picture the subject is standing by the window so it's supposed to be just natural light:

http://syndication.artpartner.com/Co.../1/AP12418.jpg

Could be that this ha been shot on film. Yet, how they got the golden sunny tint?

I am experimenting with gradient layer set on linear light (add) and reduce the fill; . . . . .
Am I in the right direction?
Impossible to say without seeing the image you're working on. A method that gives a pleasing golden tone on one image could wreck a different image. You need to post an image that doesn't have your experimental edits. This isn't a word problem. It's a visual problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeu View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me as though a Curves adjustment in the b channel in Lab mode would accomplish this effect.
Maybe lab does it more gently? Otherwise I don't see much of a difference between Lab B channel and RGB Blue channel but then I'd love to do it without torturing existing pixels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina81 View Post
Impossible to say without seeing the image you're working on. [...] It's a visual problem.
I will be posting one anytime soon although it's not the exact scene.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2017, 05:34 AM

I found an image and applied what I believe is a golden tint and some glare. I may have overdone it though. I realize color grading has a lot to do with local adjustmens while this is only global effect. Yet, it's a start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25022017-Untitled-3.jpg (87.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 25022017-Untitled-2.jpg (75.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png layers.PNG (31.9 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
I found an image and applied what I believe is a golden tint and some glare. I may have overdone it though. I realize color grading has a lot to do with local adjustmens while this is only global effect. Yet, it's a start.
I stand by my earlier comment about overcomplicating a simple issue.

You mention not torturing pixels yet you have produced an example with 8 layers - when one layer would suffice. In the process of applying these levels you have blocked hair detail

L*a*b* is of no benefit in this case and data loss while probably irrelevant in 16 bit is still there and in 8 bit a loss of around 30 levels may not be acceptable.

For me the 'Golden sunny tint' has simply not worked in fact it appears to be a Caucasian with a touch of yellow jaundice. But if that was really the look you were going for fine.

Still nothing in your layered edit suggests that this cannot be achieved just as effectively with one or two moves either camera raw or PS curve layer.
Attached is my edit of the original with a simple WB and small exposure change in ACR and a final tweak in the Hue/Sat panel. Of course the edit has been applied globally although easy enough to do locally as required

BTW it was not meant to copy your edit but is merely my view of 'Golden sunny tint' (as per your magazine colour shot), with the intention of demonstrating just how easy and quick it should be to do this job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunnystyle.jpg (190.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Tony W; 02-25-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2017, 03:47 PM

Here are four methods. Each can be adjusted to shift the hue towards red or yellow, and also increase the strength of the effect.

1. A curves adjustment layer with a mask for isolate skin tones.

2. A selective color adjustment layer. In the Reds panel: more red, less magenta, more yellow.

3. Topaz Clarity, adjusting the hue, saturation and luminance in the oranges. (Also adjusted blues for the sky and visor.)

4. A B&W adjustment layer in soft light mode. Add tint and reduce layer opacity to around 60 percent.

Result of each method shown here:
https://s18.postimg.org/5jd8nly87/goldtone.jpg

For a deeper tanned look: Select skin tones, open a B&W adjustment layer (the selection will create a mask), change blend mode to Multiply, add tint, reduce layer opacity to 50 percent, more or less, depending how strong you want the darkening effect to be.

Result:
https://s21.postimg.org/yjee827bb/goldtone2.jpg

Increase layer opacity to deepen tan:
https://s18.postimg.org/tnhluvrex/goldtone2a.jpg

Last edited by Sabrina81; 02-25-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: add image
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2017, 04:51 PM

People just don't want to believe that retouching includes introducing color, not just fixing what's there.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching