RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Looking for help retouching products

Old 04-01-2017, 03:17 PM

Looking for help retouching products

Hi everyone,

I've just discovered this forum and I'm looking for some advice. I'm a photographer looking to learn re-touching for product photography. Jewelery, in particular I am finding really difficult. I have tried to attach some images I'm hoping it works if not there is more of my work that can be seen here:
http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/ro...ewelery?sort=3

I am doing the basic healing and cloning on the images but I get confused when it comes to which blur or noise filter I should use. I am using adjustment layers for all of it so I can affect just part of the image. I'm just not sure where I should go to find out how to learn this type of retouching work. So any advice or help if greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballslayers.jpg (33.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg lightssharpened-2.jpg (31.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg salt2.2sharpened-2.jpg (63.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg heartsharpened-2.jpg (45.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg coalsharpened-2.jpg (69.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Re: Looking for help retouching products

There is no blur. I assume you know how the jewelry is shot with multiple light set ups and multiple focus planes for a single image, open aperture, shallow DOF etc...

For retouching - no blur. Pen tool for masking, Micro painting, cloning and DNB. Add noise as desired/need for the area or an entire shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2017, 01:08 AM

I haven't retouched jewellery in years but I remember clients being really fussy about the precious stones. They want to see every cut facet well defined and each stone defined against the mount. Ugly metal reflections need to be removed which can be quite tricky inside the hoops - shiny metal or brushed/satin metals should retain their inherent reflective qualities and sometimes you have to add that with a brush. Mass market stuff needs a more production line approach. Lots of USM, Dust and scratches filter etc. Generally, your products are quite small within the picture which adds another dimension of clarity - perhaps less busy backgrounds or subtle halo lighting would help the products 'pop'. Yessir, you can burn a lot of hours retouching jewellery!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
perhaps less busy backgrounds or subtle halo lighting would help the products 'pop'.
+1

My first impression when looking at your photos was that the backgrounds were rather distracting. I found myself looking at them rather than the products.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina81 View Post
My first impression when looking at your photos was that the backgrounds were rather distracting. I found myself looking at them rather than the products.
Exactly. Focus should be on the jewelry, backgrounds should accentuate not overwhelm. Example: your image of the black rocks is an image of rocks with jewelry, and it should be an image of jewelry on a rock.

Last edited by Shoku; 04-03-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2017, 01:12 AM

Blur filter is bad. Forget it exists. Healing brush is near useless here, because it has trouble with areas that fall along a high contrast boundary. I did some product work. I don't know that I ever did any jewelry, but just looking at work done by others, some of the basics are extremely obvious. You use a lot of masks. Some of the images are very nice, but the backgrounds are a bit busy. In some cases the background elements also seem too large relative to the jewelry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2017, 04:20 AM

For Retouching: healing and clone stamp will be handy in removing the dust, blemishes etc. Sometimes here and there we need to paint manually in order to remove the odd reflections in the jewelry. In order to make the product to pop out more, you can go for sharpening the product.

If you have opted for Blur tool, you may use it to defocus the background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina81 View Post
+1

I am also totally agree with you. The background is distracting from product, to show product shots the best option is to use a plain or white background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 AM

Photo Retouching is not a cup of tea for everyone. Their are lots of Jewelry Retouching services provider in market where where you can take idea how to retouch. You can also take help of youtube to learn retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2017, 11:17 AM

So, is UK USA in Englandshire?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching