RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Color Matching - Prints and Monitor

Old 07-15-2004, 07:16 PM

for downloadable frontier profiles for some machines, go to www.drycreekphoto.com

and if you want a profile for a machine in your area that isnt on the list, it will cost you about 100 bucks. a small price to pay if you are in business.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2004, 03:31 AM

2 cents worth

RE:while a photo is in open in PS .Color started to improve.

www.ezprints.com gave me(no shipping/handling either) 2 8x10 prints & their printer profile from which they suggest I calibrate my monitor to make them match via soft-proofing! I tried but the monitor gamma had to be so low for the B&W that the Color 8x10 was off- I may try again.

Unless u collaborate with others in working on pics, I dont think it matters much what it looks like on ur monitor. Of people who view it, 90% dont have CMS enabled / monitor calibrated & u can probably BS 95% who see it that their color is off! Working CS, Profile CS, profile & calibration accuracy, embedded profiles, gamut mismatches, ambient conditiond(D65 2deg flare) ,... can all be attributed to THEIR mismatched color!! Laptops cant be calibrated & AGamma is N/A for flat panel screens ala some experts.
Note that anything displayed in any browser is NOT under CMS. Look @ http://www.color.org/version4html.html
So I wouldnt spend alot of time or $ on monittor stuff. I can get a decent pic on mine using many different profiles & calibrations. One important consideration in standards & defaults in CMS et,al, was that they realized most users wouldn't do, pay for, nor understand all the complexities. My experience has been that settings off of the default by 10-15% r probably not good. But if printed work has priority, learn to soft-proof & concentrate on a reasonable match.In Ulead PI8, u can edit foto looking at proof image.
To that end, Kodak is adding profiles based on paper type which many printers think is more important than printer model. They have them for Frontier with Royal & Archive paper. U gotta join the PRO site to get them. www.kodak.com
Also when u test u might want to use constucted test patterns like EK Q60, Q13,..
Try clking http://homepages.borland.com/efg2lab...olorCharts.htm http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_4.html http://www.cix.co.uk/~tsphoto/tech/f...tek/howtek.htm http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_4.html and get the biggest, highest resolution pic so u can print it a decent size.

Just my 2¢ worth.Comments/suggestions/corrections appreciated.
Thanks- bye- Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2004, 04:09 AM

It wont let u delete those associated/in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie65
How do I know which profiles I can delete?
If u try, they will magically reappear but only if they r in use.

Description of each is in Properties under Description . Understanding them is another matter.

I never delete any but put them in folders-Printers,Monitors, Others,... When U rt-clk & Associate a profile in 1 of the folders, a copy magically appears in the root folder (Color in XP). I then rt-clk & Create Shortcut so any new profiles CMS downloades in background into Color folder will only have 1 entry. Finally I have a folder called ( 1 entry=new profile ) so I can remember the convention 2 yrs from now.

It remains to be seen if CMS will redownload profiles already in subfolders. So far it hasnt in 1 month. It will never allow u to delete ur working space profile either(sRGB).
I have 3 for sRGB which doesnt make sense but it may after ICC replies to my query.I'm not holding my breath

Comments/suggestions/corrections appreciated.
Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2004, 08:17 PM

Thumbs down Try Colourguru.com

If your in Australia (or even if not; it just takes longer) go to this website and request the remote profiling service. You get a CD with some colour charts which you printe on your own printer, using the paper of your choice. Send them back to Colourguru and within 24 hours by email you get a profile which will render your printes exactly as they should be. Cost is A$200 including post. Beforehand use Adobe Gamma to tighten up your monitor profile and then it'll be WYSIWYG. I've saved hundereds of dollars on ink and paper because soft proofing now works!

The idea of dumping all the unused profiles is good, but PS only reads the standard ...\color directory, so just move ém somewhere else ços you might need them again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching