RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Rebuilding Flesh via Channel Mix

Old 04-17-2017, 08:25 AM

Rebuilding Flesh via Channel Mix

Does anyone have any experience rebuilding flesh via channel mixer and curves. While achieving mid-tones is simple, I'm having a difficult time coming up with an adjustment that creates a realistic 3/4 and shadow. Usually, it just seem dirty or not rich in color. In general, the process is to choose the nicest channel and use that one with an adjustment curve on top. I'm trying to keep adjustments layers to a minimum.

Any help appreciated,
Aaron
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2017, 03:09 PM

Re: Rebuilding Flesh via Channel Mix

I know what you mean, especially in darker skin tones, you get that more saturated portion of the transitional area between shadow and mid tone.

I don't know what the issue with the image was, but you can use luminosity sliders or luminosity masks? I would go that route in order to lessen the manual work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM

What do you mean rebuilding? You might need more than one adjustment. Generally you want to keep it as simple as possible, but the typical color spaces used to encode still imagery are not conducive to what I think you're trying to do. If it doesn't work, make secondary layers wherever you have problems. Use masks. I find that I can set 1-2 points on a curve without messing anything up, but that's typically my limit as I am sampling by visual inspection. Even using the eyedroppers, a single image from the scene may not provide sufficient samples to justify a more complex adjustment.

If you have way too much saturation, it's usually a sign that you're overdoing something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2017, 03:56 AM

May we see what you're working on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2017, 05:50 AM

What do you mean by "3/4 and shadow"? If you mean shadow, it's just not right "rich in color". You may want to desaturate in the shadow area, instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2017, 08:03 AM

I meant the shadow areas in regard to skin, (under the chin, sides of arms, etc.) In general, I haven't been able to come up with an adjustment set that would give pleasing, realistic color for lighter, mids, and darker areas. I would like to keep masking out of it, or at the very least only use the RGB channels as they are, no adjusting. I think I'm happier with the results just using the monochrome option rather than wholly replacing the r and b channels with the g channel.

examples: In the below I was able to pull the 0 point of the R up to get rid of the green cast in the darker areas, but that doesn't always work as it changes the balance of the lighter areas. Oh well.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...2RTeVhFMGwybUU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...0tPZnNkc2tnWUE
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2017, 12:05 PM

This isn't that bad, and a lot of people regularly have to deal with this kind of thing. I would probably just make one adjustment layer for the overall thing, then add another on top of that with a soft mask to deal with some of the darker areas. This means the darker areas are adjusted twice. This is because masking off one region exclusive of the other will lead to weird transitions. It might be as much as one layer per dark or off color region. If you're dealing with tiny splotches that are closer to noise than a region of the image, you can get away with cloning in color mode.

It's often not really possible to get everything perfect in one pass, but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to take this to a finished image with respectable results. Good luck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching