RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How is this type of coloring achieved?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-06-2017, 12:09 AM
jos_awad jos_awad is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
How is this type of coloring achieved?

This is an instagram image by user Sam Kolder. His images seem to have an orange/teal look however whites and blacks are quite neutral. Also skin tones are really great! Does anyone have any advice on how to acheive this look?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTmGLfNAFgj/?hl=en
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 05-06-2017, 04:01 PM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: How is this type of coloring achieved?

Whites and blacks are not exactly neutral here, but there's nothing resembling orange. Your display may be off. The bright reflections in the water and on his skin are tinted a bit red. The darker parts of the water are tinted a bit. The image has some vignetting and may have been selectively darkened in a couple areas.

My suspicion is that he used primarily selective color (or a similar tool) and a vignette. My reasoning is that unadjusted, reflections and bright areas are not that saturated relative to other things hit by the same light. You will of course have to play around with it a bit to achieve something repeatable. I suggest starting with an image shot under similar lighting. Compare to this one while you work. If you really compare to tell whether you're going in the right direction, you should be able to achieve something similar in appearance.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 05-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Flashtones Flashtones is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 956
Re: How is this type of coloring achieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jos_awad View Post
Does anyone have any advice on how to acheive this look?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTmGLfNAFgj/?hl=en
Shoot at sunset.
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 05-07-2017, 08:39 AM
jos_awad jos_awad is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Re: How is this type of coloring achieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
Whites and blacks are not exactly neutral here, but there's nothing resembling orange. Your display may be off. The bright reflections in the water and on his skin are tinted a bit red. The darker parts of the water are tinted a bit. The image has some vignetting and may have been selectively darkened in a couple areas.

My suspicion is that he used primarily selective color (or a similar tool) and a vignette. My reasoning is that unadjusted, reflections and bright areas are not that saturated relative to other things hit by the same light. You will of course have to play around with it a bit to achieve something repeatable. I suggest starting with an image shot under similar lighting. Compare to this one while you work. If you really compare to tell whether you're going in the right direction, you should be able to achieve something similar in appearance.
Thank you for your reply! I am using a macbook pro 2016 for editing. I was using the 'Color LCD' display profile and skin tones looked very natural. On reading your comment i switched to Apple RGB (not sure if it is more accurate) and the skin tones look very RED as you mentioned. Could you please recommend a display profile? I edit mostly in sRGB for use on the web. The colours in sRGB and Apple RGB profiles look very different from those seen on a mobile phone.
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 05-07-2017, 08:53 AM
skoobey skoobey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,374
Thumbs up Re: How is this type of coloring achieved?

Adobe RGB is industry standard.

Anyway, I have a slight suspicion he is using the "douche filter"

Let's get serious, vignetting and global DNB are obviously present, an apart from that selective color(blacks, reds, yellow and green channel) and hue saturation combined with playing with a blue channel in curves to give shadows a blue tint will get you there. Many of these were shot at sunset, search google for golden hour.
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Tony W's Avatar
Tony W Tony W is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,394
Re: How is this type of coloring achieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jos_awad View Post
...I was using the 'Color LCD' display profile and skin tones looked very natural. On reading your comment i switched to Apple RGB (not sure if it is more accurate) and the skin tones look very RED as you mentioned. Could you please recommend a display profile? I edit mostly in sRGB for use on the web. The colours in sRGB and Apple RGB profiles look very different from those seen on a mobile phone.
Your display profile should really be one that is produced by a calibration device to a given standard.

You cannot profile to sRGB, Apple RGB, Adobe RGB or any other editing/working space.

I would suggest at this time (without calibration equipment) that you stick to editing in sRGB and hope that your monitor colour and brightness is ok for others to view your images as intended - but you can expect vast differences in others screen views due to wildly varying conditions between uncalibrated devices
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 05-07-2017, 11:35 AM
skoobey skoobey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,374
Re: How is this type of coloring achieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Your display profile should really be one that is produced by a calibration device to a given standard.

You cannot profile to sRGB, Apple RGB, Adobe RGB or any other editing/working space.

I would suggest at this time (without calibration equipment) that you stick to editing in sRGB and hope that your monitor colour and brightness is ok for others to view your images as intended - but you can expect vast differences in others screen views due to wildly varying conditions between uncalibrated devices
Very true.
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 05-07-2017, 02:06 PM
klev klev is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,109
Re: How is this type of coloring achieved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jos_awad View Post
Thank you for your reply! I am using a macbook pro 2016 for editing. I was using the 'Color LCD' display profile and skin tones looked very natural. On reading your comment i switched to Apple RGB (not sure if it is more accurate) and the skin tones look very RED as you mentioned. Could you please recommend a display profile? I edit mostly in sRGB for use on the web. The colours in sRGB and Apple RGB profiles look very different from those seen on a mobile phone.
Apple's color synch and profile interface are actually quite silly, because they list a lot of things that aren't display profiles at all.

If you want a good profile, you have to purchase a colorimeter. I like the i1 Display Pro or anything from X-rite. Otherwise there's no way to measure the output from your display. Some people occasionally share profiles if they happen to have the same machine and both are fairly new. This will still have a fairly high level of variance, but it may be better than what you get from Color LCD. If it makes that look orange, then I think that could be a solution, assuming that they choose native targets wherever possible.

It's not a perfect solution, because you have several points of potential variability and it's not really verifiable. It is however likely to be a more reasonable approximation than Color LCD, which has been applied as a default to various displays with highly variable characteristics.

I would also avoid the "calibrate" tool in color synch, because it's terrible. If you use it, make sure you don't overwrite any system profiles. This is just one of many areas where Apple regularly annoys me. They often force you to do things a particular way by refusing to support common standards or conventions.

I agree with Tony W. There's nothing wrong with editing in sRGB. Colors that fall outside sRGB and within Adobe RGB are often problematic for the web and even in printing. It's also possible to exceed Adobe RGB. I have seen issues where raw processing of very bright reds could lead clipping.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone know how this look is achieved? kurry Turning Portraits into Digital Sketches, Oils, Watercolors 1 02-22-2017 03:28 AM
How to avoid or fix skin type like this? testerke Photo Retouching 3 01-29-2016 10:07 PM
Script to center-crop images to a fixed ratio gct13 Photoshop Scripting 24 01-06-2013 03:58 AM
Coloring for fashion GlamGuru Photo Retouching 12 02-25-2012 10:09 PM
How to Achieve This Type of Effect diva42 Photo Retouching 4 04-20-2011 07:11 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved