RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodge & Burn confusion

Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 AM

Unhappy Dodge & Burn confusion

Hello friends,
I am very new into beauty retouching and learning from internet.
I am not getting any better tutorial about Dodging & Burning that shows simple ways of HOW, WHERE & HOW MUCH D & B can be done on any image.

I have read this article but still I am very confused and also i couldn't achieve result I want as a final version.

It would be great if you guys can provide any great video or articles about D&B.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM

Re: Dodge & Burn confusion

This may help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeEX...0UlwczH25SuODk
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 AM

Thanks for reply.
I have seen this video, this video is great for learning different D & B ways.
But i need a kind of tutorial that shows how much, Where and why we need to apply D&B.

Please share if you have any kind of tutorials.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDaPhotographer View Post
Thanks for reply.
I have seen this video, this video is great for learning different D & B ways.
But i need a kind of tutorial that shows how much, Where and why we need to apply D&B.
You're asking for a paint by numbers, and it it doesn't exist. It's also impractical. This is a problem for anyone coming from a photography background. You may not be comfortable with basic illustration principles, and retouching work has more in common with them. You can eventually overcome that.

Beyond the basic mechanics, you would look for specific results. You choose how much and where to match that result. You mostly learn to avoid doing any more than absolutely necessary, because any work applied to the image is an opportunity to screw something up. The work that you do apply should simply follow what you're trying to achieve.

As to why we need to apply it, there's no real reason. People simply found that given the available tools, this provided a reasonable degree of control over the image that was not easily achievable without it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2017, 01:46 PM

What a great reply!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
You're asking for a paint by numbers, and it it doesn't exist. It's also impractical. This is a problem for anyone coming from a photography background. You may not be comfortable with basic illustration principles, and retouching work has more in common with them. You can eventually overcome that.

Beyond the basic mechanics, you would look for specific results. You choose how much and where to match that result. You mostly learn to avoid doing any more than absolutely necessary, because any work applied to the image is an opportunity to screw something up. The work that you do apply should simply follow what you're trying to achieve.

As to why we need to apply it, there's no real reason. People simply found that given the available tools, this provided a reasonable degree of control over the image that was not easily achievable without it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching