RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mixer brush on low frequency

Old 07-04-2017, 11:18 AM

Mixer brush on low frequency

Hi,

I have run across this this video:

https://www.emdkstudios.com/blog/htt...l-in-photoshop

Best practice would be to retouch on the high layer and leave the low layer untouched to avoid filtered look. Yet, the mixer brush seems to work well on the low frequency as shown on the video. Could it be worth for a full body in addition to D&B?

All in all it comes down to the ability to paint realistic tones to keep the retouch natural.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Re: Mixer brush on low frequency

I managed to watch some rental videos especially those of Tarantino where he claims so use just the stamp tool and D&B to get to a natural retouch. Yet, I am a little confused because in this image I notice an overlay to provide the texture (in the eyebrows as well)

https://s16.postimg.org/p460lo90l/Senza-titolo-1.gif

So I don't understand if texture was created with this overlay or just through D&B..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2017, 04:11 PM

He just used it to add a bit of noise to make the image more uniform/look less digital. It's not replacing skin retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2017, 05:09 PM

I thought something like noise->blur->emboss with different direction to match portions of the skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2017, 05:24 PM

That is good thinking in terms of where light falls and why but there is just no use for it in reality. If the image is so bad that you need to do this, then just put some noise on top and be done with it. If they are serious, they'll have a budget for a reshoot, or they'll have a replacement model posed and lit the same way, so you can borrow texture form her/his/z skin.

Last edited by skoobey; 07-07-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
I thought something like noise->blur->emboss with different direction to match portions of the skin.
No. Noise is good, because it looks random. What you're suggesting wouldn't look random but also wouldn't look exactly like pores. Generally when you can't do something really well, you avoid these kinds of approximations. I think you will find that many of these things lead to visually unappealing results.

Keep in mind that image looks a bit rushed. A couple retouched parts look somewhat blotchy, and I don't think the guy would leave it that way if it was a real job.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching