RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Photo Retouching (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/)
-   -   Favourite Photoshop plugins (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/39700-favourite-photoshop-plugins.html)

Caleb 10-04-2017 11:20 AM

Favourite Photoshop plugins

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what peoples favourite various Photoshop plugins (free or paid for) are.

I've just been playing around with the free Nik collection plugins and thought i'd see if anyone had any other recommendations...

I guess mostly i'm interested in colour effects/hdr/beauty. I'd also like to find a good plugin for creating drawing/paint effects for example.

Thanks in advance!

franko60 10-10-2017 10:18 PM

Re: Favourite Photoshop plugins

As the name of this board is retouchPRO I think you'll find that most of the resident experts don't use any plug-ins but are adept with the tools built in to photoshop (and other imaging software). That said, you may get some answers from newer board members. And btw, Google has stopped development and support of the Nik suite of products so it's questionable how long they'll be useful for.

Caleb 10-10-2017 11:10 PM

Thanks for the reply however unhelpful.

Best

franko60 10-12-2017 04:27 AM

You're right. As you have already the Nik plugins I'd suggest you continue to use them, as at least you haven't had to pay for them and they may continue to work with Photoshop for a few years yet. I've found Nik Sharpener to be the most useful, especially the RAW pre-sharpener. Dfine isn't bad at reducing noise either and again, it's a lot cheaper than many of the competing noise reducing plug-ins. I'm not keen on the other plug-ins in the suite, though, although they may a place in your workflow.

The only other plug-in I've used with any regularity is Vertus Fluid Mask which I bought at least 10 years ago and who've never charged me for an upgrade. Still the best plug-in for complex masking although Photoshop's native tools have caught up and surpassed it IMO.

Sabrina81 10-12-2017 02:18 PM

The plugin I use most often is Topaz Clarity. Extremely useful because it adjusts contrasts at four different levels. The color panel in Clarity looks just like the one in Adobe Camera Raw, but the colors are more responsive in clarity.

Next is either Topaz Detail or Nik Sharpener Pro. Detail is very useful because it allows independent sharpening of small, medium and large details.

PS - Anyone who says pros don't use plugins is ... well ... not a pro. (I wonder what they think Adobe Camera Raw is.)

plugsnpixels 10-21-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrina81 (Post 333781)
Anyone who says pros don't use plugins is ... well ... not a pro. (I wonder what they think Adobe Camera Raw is.)

Good point Sabrina!

Here's the deal: If you have the time AND the chops, you can use your image editor's tools manually to achieve a wide range of corrections/enhancements.

But if you're on deadline, like to experiment or wish to get exotic results that the standard tools just won't give you, that's where plug-ins come in.

PS: People who don't use plug-ins probably wash their clothes and dishes by hand too, ha!

Caleb 10-24-2017 01:04 AM

Hey thanks for the replies, i'm a bit slow responding..
Yes I had a couple of recent jobs where considering the time factor I was trying to find quick ways of trying various looks.
Ive used things like knoll light factory plugin and tried the free trial of portraiture although $200 for the license is a bit much for me at the moment just to save a little bit of retouching time...
I will have a look at those mentioned here tho thanks!

plugsnpixels 10-24-2017 10:33 AM

Caleb, FWIW Portraiture (and all Imagenomic products) is discounted.

Caleb 10-25-2017 02:02 AM

Thanks for the heads up!

plugsnpixels 10-25-2017 03:27 AM

You're welcome!