RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Favourite Photoshop plugins

Old 10-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Favourite Photoshop plugins

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what peoples favourite various Photoshop plugins (free or paid for) are.

I've just been playing around with the free Nik collection plugins and thought i'd see if anyone had any other recommendations...

I guess mostly i'm interested in colour effects/hdr/beauty. I'd also like to find a good plugin for creating drawing/paint effects for example.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Re: Favourite Photoshop plugins

As the name of this board is retouchPRO I think you'll find that most of the resident experts don't use any plug-ins but are adept with the tools built in to photoshop (and other imaging software). That said, you may get some answers from newer board members. And btw, Google has stopped development and support of the Nik suite of products so it's questionable how long they'll be useful for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the reply however unhelpful.

Best
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 03:27 AM

You're right. As you have already the Nik plugins I'd suggest you continue to use them, as at least you haven't had to pay for them and they may continue to work with Photoshop for a few years yet. I've found Nik Sharpener to be the most useful, especially the RAW pre-sharpener. Dfine isn't bad at reducing noise either and again, it's a lot cheaper than many of the competing noise reducing plug-ins. I'm not keen on the other plug-ins in the suite, though, although they may a place in your workflow.

The only other plug-in I've used with any regularity is Vertus Fluid Mask which I bought at least 10 years ago and who've never charged me for an upgrade. Still the best plug-in for complex masking although Photoshop's native tools have caught up and surpassed it IMO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM

The plugin I use most often is Topaz Clarity. Extremely useful because it adjusts contrasts at four different levels. The color panel in Clarity looks just like the one in Adobe Camera Raw, but the colors are more responsive in clarity.

Next is either Topaz Detail or Nik Sharpener Pro. Detail is very useful because it allows independent sharpening of small, medium and large details.

PS - Anyone who says pros don't use plugins is ... well ... not a pro. (I wonder what they think Adobe Camera Raw is.)

Last edited by Sabrina81; 10-12-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Add PS
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching