RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how im dealing with highlights...info for all

Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 PM

Smile how im dealing with highlights...info for all

So i got tired of seeing so many images where they are constantly over exposing the image for xyz reasons and that got me wondering what the actual details of those areas would look like if we were somehow able to get them. I tried a few several ways and after a few days this is probably the best way i can think of. Feel free to view the video and share your thoughts on how i deal with highlights. Also feel free to add anything to it.

How I deal with highlights - the voidsource way
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2018, 10:13 AM

Re: how im dealing with highlights...info for all

Interesting play with the shadows/highlights command channel by channel and luminosity blend.

It brought me back to an interview where a retoucher suggested underexposing when taking the capture although is known to be against the rules.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retoucher_interview.jpg (89.7 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2018, 11:45 AM

Do not destroy retouched images, showing "techniques".
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marameo View Post
Interesting play with the shadows/highlights command channel by channel and luminosity blend.

It brought me back to an interview where a retoucher suggested underexposing when taking the capture although is known to be against the rules.
Yes, i have known about the slightly underexposed method. For me that is truly reasonable and perfect for getting better images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobey View Post
Do not destroy retouched images, showing "techniques".
I am not here to 'destroy' anyones work, simple stating a technique I am using to get details back from an image in which highlights might be causing a problem. The video is to give you a better understanding. It is by no means meant to use on every image.

If your client wants overexposed images then by all means do it. But if a client comes to you and says hey i really like this one picture I did but its a bit bright and then asks you to fix it, then maybe this method can help you. It is better to know a few different techniques in my opinion.

The final thing I do want to say is that it is all a matter of personal taste. It is subjective how I feel and how you feel about an image. I see an overexposed image, regardless of how much edit they did or didn't do and I feel/am curious to see what it looks like with the details brought into light. I prefer a bit more of a natural look works best. Others will not agree with me on that and that is perfectly fine. But I do want to share this with others whom might want to try this out with some of their own personal image(s).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2018, 04:52 PM

What was problematic about the Anne Hathaway file? It is not a matter of personal taste, you just don't destroy well retouched files, even if you can't get a grasp of what makes an image good.

You could use images where overexposed highlights offset compositional balance, try doing that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2018, 03:00 AM

Quote:
What was problematic about the Anne Hathaway file? It is not a matter of personal taste, you just don't destroy well retouched files, even if you can't get a grasp of what makes an image good.

You could use images where overexposed highlights offset compositional balance, try doing that.
You seemed to believe that the hathaway image is.....to say the least, ideal. It really is a matter of personal taste. While it is good for your standards, it might not be good for other people.

You also seem to forget the point of my post which was dealing with highlights. On that particular image there are highlights and I went ahead and showed how details can be brought back to an image. How to make some adjustments after doing highlights and then proceeded to still fix a color issue. Whether the image was good to begin with is another topic which isn't what I am discussing. Feel free to let me know what on the highlights topic could use some work or how to improve on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Improve it by dropping the attitude, stop using images you don't own the rights to, and by not destroying other people's work. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Improve it by dropping the attitude, stop using images you don't own the rights to, and by not destroying other people's work. Thanks.
Using images for the right of commentary or to use as an example is considered fair usage; I am not making profit from this nor have I made such claim that I own the rights to it.

I am not destroying any images, simply bc it is not to your taste you are willing to make a statement of declaration that it is 'destroyed'. Stop thinking like a child and accept the fact that there's people with different points of views than yours. So even though they don't fit with your ideas, it does not mean its bad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 PM

Skoobey = plus 10
Voidsource = D-
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching