RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

LAB color space

View Poll Results: How many use the 'LAB" color space for editing images.
I do. 66 59.46%
I dont. 45 40.54%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri Medford
I am a bigginner going through tutorials and practicing, still figuring out blend modes and dodge/burn without the dodge burn tool. A month ago I was doing dodge/burn on the background layer, so I have come a long way. I have always enjoyed being systematic about learning a topic or skill so I was wondering should I worry about LAB now or wait until I get the basic techniques down? Sometimes it helps to read a book that is over your head and then go back to a level or two lower and it seems easy where before it wasn't. But that only seems to work when you are talking about levels of learning of the same topic. So is LAB a must part of technique or something I can learn in a few months?
Hello Ms. Medford

L*A*B is not a must part of the technique. But it is helpful to learn it, as well as cmyk editing (learn all the colorspaces)

Here is some info.Articles

The hyperlink has (free) articles on L*A*B (Photoshop LAB Color) and Professional Photoshop.

After reading them, you can decide.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 06:41 PM

Re: LAB color space

Thanks for the question and for those who made comments about it. I haven't used LAB and wasn't sure in what way it should be used. In my lessons I've read about it but they never actually said "use LAB for this and then convert to RGB", they just gave the defination. Now I'm going to try it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 PM

Thumbs down Re: LAB color space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri Medford
Sometimes it helps to read a book that is over your head and then go back to a level or two lower and it seems easy where before it wasn't.
Oh, that is so true!

Even just reading around here, I can find myself coming to grips much easier with lessons that are a step or two backwards from what the lesson is actually specifically addressing.

I've used LAB for specific problems, as has been prescribed here (usually as a selection - ctrl-alt-shift-tilde) and then blurring or sharpening the selection for, say, improvements with skin problems.

I think I'll definitely be looking for that Margulis book.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Re: LAB color space

My photoshop prof was talking about how he has just started to learn about LAB and is talking about it a lot, he said he is not ready to teach us it yet because he does not totally understand the complexities of it. Over all though, I do believe this is something I'm going to have to start looking into. Mostly because I have heard from numerous people that it really makes your images pop and your colours sing. I've started reading up on the subject and I can't wait to delve into the world of LAB.

Also, this is my first post here. I'm a Digital Photography and Imagery major in Barrie Ontario studying at the Georgian School of Design and Visual Art! One of the huuuuuge areas covered in the program is Post, we have dedicated photoshop classes every week.

Can't wait to start interacting and learning.. I hope this forum will be a valuable resource.

Best Regards,

j.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching