RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

LAB color space

View Poll Results: How many use the 'LAB" color space for editing images.
I do. 66 59.46%
I dont. 45 40.54%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2002, 09:20 PM

LAB color space

How many use "Lab" as a editing mode for retouching and restoring images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 09:29 PM

About the lab color space.

http://www.ledet.com/margulis/LABCorrection.pdf

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...valuation.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 09:51 PM

Not forgetting my links to more LAB mode links:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...V_links.html#L

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2002, 04:20 PM

I don't use it as the working mode. I use RGB mostly but I do use it as a tool in the restoration process then switching back to RGB so I answered "I don't".
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2002, 09:27 PM

Hi DJ, I answered Yes - but for the same reasons that prompted you to answer No!

Currently - 90% of the originals I deal with are presented in CMYK (prepress setting). Sometimes RGB and LAB trips are needed, or perhaps working in colour and luminosity blend modes to avoid LAB while in RGB or CMYK.

All colour modes have something to offer (you can also access other modes like HSB or YCQ etc with plugs or other software).

As a everyday standard working space or editing space to perform the majority of your colour work in - LAB is perhaps not the best choice, which is why larger gamut idealised RGB working spaces exist.

As a retouching colour mode - LAB is great, but you can often do similar things with colour and luminosity blends or edits with tools etc.

The important concept here is not LAB as such - but separating colour from tone, or luminosity...which can be done in many color modes, but LAB is perhaps the best choice for Photoshop users. This was a very important conceptual step for me, which I always try to exploit in my edits and I am continually learning new things about from trial and error.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 08:47 AM

Take look at the new book by Dan Margulis. One of the best I have read. It will teach how and what to do with this color mode. I have tried some of the techniques with wonderful results.

Also, check out this excellent forum on the subject

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

MDIJB
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdijb
Take look at the new book by Dan Margulis. One of the best I have read. It will teach how and what to do with this color mode. I have tried some of the techniques with wonderful results.

Also, check out this excellent forum on the subject

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

MDIJB
Agreed. LAB is a superior space for sharpening, for many color operations that simply aren't possible in RGB or CMYK and for any retouching that involves blending different colors into each other, and for most types of cast removal.

I usually do my initial moves in lab and then fine tune in RGB or CMYK, depending on the destination space. I find that CMYK is still the best space for getting skin tones exact, but there are some miraculous moves in LAB that allow a dead looking face to come back to life that are beyond anything in CMYK or RGB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 11:58 PM

I highly recommend the Dan Margulis book. I am currently reading it now. It is quite advanced though and shouldn't be approached by the weak of heart though. It's very different than the other colorspaces so that makes it difficult in an of itself. There are enough things that are vital to do in LAB to want to use it fairly regularly with photo retouch. Many times when it is thought that the same result will evolve out of RGB or LAB there are still times where LAB is clearly the best way to go. Sharpening colors like 255,0,0 often results in an ugly halo around edges whereas in LAB they are non-existent. I recommend it to anyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2006, 09:27 PM

I used to only use it for some noise reduction methods, or to experiment, but as many others have found it it is now a very popular mode to use. It has some very nice abilities for dealing with shadows and highlights, infact only this morning I used it for just such a fix. I have yet to read Dan's book but think I probably will at some point. What I was curious about is this mode has been availabe for years, are there people out there who new it's secrets all this time or is only just dawning on us that it has more uses than we first thought?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2006, 07:25 PM

I am a bigginner going through tutorials and practicing, still figuring out blend modes and dodge/burn without the dodge burn tool. A month ago I was doing dodge/burn on the background layer, so I have come a long way. I have always enjoyed being systematic about learning a topic or skill so I was wondering should I worry about LAB now or wait until I get the basic techniques down? Sometimes it helps to read a book that is over your head and then go back to a level or two lower and it seems easy where before it wasn't. But that only seems to work when you are talking about levels of learning of the same topic. So is LAB a must part of technique or something I can learn in a few months?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching