RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Resizing images for RetouchPRO

Old 05-08-2003, 02:28 PM

Very useful information. Wish I had found this before I sent off my images a couple of days ago. ( Seems like I couldn't find anything yesterday - hmmmmmmm) Thanks for a clear, great explanation. JR
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 03:06 PM

This is not working for me. Even saved at Jpeg at 0 quality my file is almost 1 meg. What am i doing wrong.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 05:54 PM

Shoff read. are you selecting the original on the left. If you are then thats your problem. Photoshop loads four set ups. the first one is original size the next is reduced and then the third and fourth. If you select No 2 your reduction will be largere then if you selected three or four.

Jeaniesa's exxplanation is right on the money.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 08:31 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Shoff,

If you click on "Save for web", and select the 4 up option, you will see 4 images of different quality, and the file size will appear at the bottom left of each image. Let's say you have an image of 500K that you need to reduce to 100K to display. Click on the arrow (shown on attachment). You will now have an option to click on "optimize to file size". Doing so will bring up a box that will allow you to enter 100K (or whatever you wish). Click on OK, and your 4 images will be redrawn to new quality levels, again with the file size showing. Choose the one you want, then click OK. Hope this does the trick for you.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Save for web#1.jpg (70.8 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2004, 09:31 PM

I'm getting an error message.

"Could not complete this operation. There was not enough memory available."

I have 1 gig of ram. What is going on here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2004, 03:39 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That sounds pretty strange! Do you get the same thing after shutting down, then re-starting?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2004, 04:15 PM

When you have the image opened in PhotoShop what is the size and resolution? I am wondering if your file is too large to optimize to 100k.

For example, if I opened a file that has a resolution of 150 dpi and is 2461 pixels wide by 1614 pixels high. When I go to save for web and select optimize for file size of 100k, the quality drops to 0, but my file is still over 200k, because quaility can't go under zero PhotoShop only compresses to that point. So to make my file fit the RetouchPro limitations. I changed the resolution to 72 dpi with resample checked. This changed my file to 1181 pixels wide by 775 pixels high. Now I probably want to shrink the file to 800 pixels wide to make things even easier. Now when I go to Save For Web and select optimize to file setting of 100k, PhotoShop can easily perform this function.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2004, 04:44 PM

As for the error message:

"Could not complete this operation. There was not enough memory available."

Make sure you have selected your largest free drive for your scratch disk.

To change the scratch disk assignment:

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks.
2. Choose the desired disks from the menus. You can assign up to four scratch disks of any size your file system supports.
3. Click OK.
4. Restart Photoshop for the change to take effect.

Note: (from PhotoShop)
Quote:
To open a file, Photoshop requires free disk space for a scratch disk file equal to 3-5 times the size of the file. Because Photoshop's native file format (.psd) uses Run Length Encoded (RLE) compression, files saved in .psd format are often larger in size when opened in Photoshop than when saved on the hard drive. The more alpha channels and layers in a .psd file, the more hard drive space Photoshop requires to open the file. If a .psd file has many channels and layers, Pixel Dimensions field in the Image Size dialog box may indicate a file size that's more than 10 times the file size indicated by the operating system. For example, a file whose size is 25 MB file on the hard drive may open as a 500 MB file in Photoshop if it has many channels and layers.
If this doesn't work you may want to delete your preference files. When the preferences file is damaged, Photoshop may return an error regarding available RAM (i.e., memory) or Scratch Disk space. Deleting the preferences file and restarting Photoshop forces Photoshop to create a new preferences file that contains default preferences settings and default plug-in folder and file information.

Note: Resetting your Preferences restores it to its DEFAULT setting. Meaning all custom presets will be lost. (Like actions, brushes etc) So its best to Back them up/ Save them as indivual preset libraries and move them to a temporary location. Then reload after the Preferences have been reset.

To re-create the Photoshop preferences file:
1. Quit Photoshop.

2. Drag the Photoshop preferences file to the Trash:
-- Photoshop CS: Drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Prefs.psp in the Users/[user profile]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.
-- Photoshop 7.x: Drag the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs in the Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 7.0 folder to the Trash.

3. Drag the com.adobe.Photoshop.plist file from the Users: [user name]; Library: Preferences folder to the trash. (The com.adobe.Photoshop.plist file is a Photoshop preferences file run at the system level. Like other Photoshop preferences file, it's re-created when Photoshop opens.)

4. Restart Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2005, 12:20 AM

For what its worth, I am a bit out of date. Is it possible to get this updated, I'm on CS2 [PS9]. I am truely lost. PS image ready, now gives me .gif files for downsmpled images, do these work. what do I do now, I simply want to post an image to talk about.

THX
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching