RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help - Digital Makeover

Old 12-03-2002, 12:09 PM

Jaz, I think I found one source of your frustration with your work. Looking at the first redhead pic you posted and also a later blonde version I notice that you have brushed the color on top of the image, probably with brush set to "normal." This makes it opaque, and even at lowered opacity it obscures details of hair strands and the shine of irises. What you want to do to add color without making it look painted is to set your brush to "color" mode, which will change the color but remain transparent. You will still have to lower opacity and play around with saturation in the color you choose of course. To darken or lighten colors, use the burn and dodge tools. Finally, to give the look of face make up, which really IS painted on and partially opaque, brush over the skin with low opacity brush set to normal.

Hope this helps.

Phyllis

Last edited by pstewart; 12-03-2002 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pstewart
Jaz, I think I found one source of your frustration with your work. Looking at the first redhead pic you posted and also a later blonde version I notice that you have brushed the color on top of the image, probably with brush set to "normal."
Nope - I almost never use normal blend mode for any color changes or enhancements.

Quote:
What you want to do to add color without making it look painted is to set your brush to "color" mode, which will change the color but remain transparent.
That's what I did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 02:00 PM

Well, for some reason the hair looks "covered up" by the color...did you also adjust levels, curves and/or contrast?

At any rate, here is a comparison of what I got from the original (on the left) with brush set to color mode and some burning. Your version is on the right. You can see that the hair and eyes/irises shine and have detail on the left. Perhaps you accidentally had a different mode setting, since color mode would never cover up the hair detail as we see on the image at the right...unless the contrast had been reduced. Perhaps you darkened the hair by flattening the contrast on it, which also would kill the detail. Try using the burn tool with a fuzzy brush and see if that helps.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair_eyes.jpg (78.4 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 12-03-2002 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 02:08 PM

Well, for some reason the hair looks "covered up" by the color...did you also adjust levels, curves and/or contrast?

At any rate, here is a comparison of what I got from the original (on the left) with brush set to color mode and some burning. Your version is on the right. You can see that the hair and eyes/irises shine and have detail on the left. Perhaps you accidentally had a different mode setting, since color mode would never cover up the hair detail as we see on the image at the right...unless the contrast had been reduced.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair_eyes.jpg (20.0 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pstewart
Perhaps you accidentally had a different mode setting
I used many different settings for that picture. The red hair layer that I liked the best was multiply mode. Did you see this picture? Each color was done in a different blend mode:

http://www.jackzucker.com/Photoshop/facesofsande.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. I'll tell Sande. I think she's afraid I'm turning her into a biker babe! LOL

http://www.jackzucker.com/images/sandetattoo.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 10:20 PM

I applied this makeup almost exactly the same as I would apply my own makeup in the morning... Which is also, BTW, the way I apply hand coloring to faces...

Perhaps thats' the key - I'm allowed (even expected) to know how to apply makeup and have been doing it since I begged my mom for "just a little blush and lipstick" when I was in the 7th grade...

Anyway, here's what I did:

1. Smoothed skin slightly using Dust & Scratches with the history brush to simulate foundation makeup effects

2. Defined edges of lips by cloning slightly and then painting in a bit of color on a new color layer(lip pencil)

3. Also on the color layer, enhanced pink/burgandy highlights on face and neck

4. Used blur tool on lips (original BG layer)

5. On a new normal layer, using a very low opacity (5% or less) and a very soft brush, painted on a bit of brown eyeshadow and some "lighter foundation" coloring under the eyes to smooth out the dark areas and added some light black "eyebrow pencil, mascara and eyeliner". I also gave her eyes a slight green tint.

6. To brighten the hair, I added a new Selective Color adjustment layer on top of everything. To Yellow (with relative selected), I added 10 magenta, 10 yellow and 10 black.

7. Flattened and sharpened with high pass set to 1

8. Smoothed skin a bit more using Gaussian Blur and the History Brush

9. Cloned out the second catchlight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sande after.jpg (93.1 KB, 143 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 11:11 PM

Jakaleena ....

You really did an outstanding job with the eyes..... & hair. Thanks for those detailed steps. Am smiling, as I just know how hard that brush control is, used the healing brush to night for the first time. Pretty neat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 05:04 AM

Wonderful! :-)

Would you consider doing a digital makeup tutorial?

I'd be interested in seeing the adjustment and various other layers to learn to better apply makeup.

Thanks for the detailed steps. Your work is wonderful.

Jaz

Last edited by jaz; 12-04-2002 at 06:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 07:44 AM

I'll try to get a tutorial written, but can't promise that it will be soon since I've been pretty busy lately.

What I've done here is basically a combination of things from the tutorials on Retouching Acne and Colorization.

And honestly, the best tutorial for applying makeup is someplace like the Nordstrom Cosmetic Counter... I'd recommend going to a cosmetic counter where they will do your makeup/makeover in hopes of selling you some cosmetics and watch how the makeup is applied - that's exactly the way I learned to do it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 09:56 PM

Playing around.......
I removed some of her eye makeup to change it.
I changed the overall shade of her makeup and hair from pink to copper.
More experimenting.....
Changed the hairstyle to frame her face more (rough cut and paste)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sand2.jpg (65.8 KB, 133 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching