RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Partial color cast

Old 12-15-2002, 07:00 AM

Thanks;

You Pros did a great job ! Now I will see if I can duplicate the ideas of yours on a very large tiff file. I had wondered what to do; and cropping it was an big option, but you made me belive in the power of the minds' eye.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2002, 07:40 AM

There are some very interesting solutions shown here. Nice results. I think I'll practice on this one a while.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2002, 03:51 PM

Greetings all,

I have just joined RetouchPro after having found it about two weeks ago. This thread (Partial Colour Cast) has prompted me to join and attached is my effort. Hopefully it will look as it does on my monitor.

There were so many steps involved that I've forgotten and lost track of what I did! Basically, I used a lot of adjustment layers :

1. Levels to adjust overall red cast.
2. Select specific areas, make layer and adjust colour and density (levels & Hue/Sat.).
3. Blended layer masks by painting.
4. At some point(s) duplicated layers, changed to LAB mode for dodge & burn.
5. Lasso specific areas, used Colour Range and Colour Balance to put colour in, eg. reds in Snow Man.
6. At some point used a Luminosity Mask, inversed and adjusted levels. Did this because it was the most effective solution at hand.
7. Went in and tidied up bits here and there with the Clone tool etc.
8. Whew....

Glad to have found RetouchPro - there is a lot to learn and hopefully I can contribute. And haven't messed up this first post!

Hanuman
Photographer/General Practitioner Artist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color cast copy 3/ch.jpg (45.0 KB, 131 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2002, 11:54 AM

Here's my attempt. I started off in Variations, adding a ton of cyan. Then I did more color correcting using the color balance adjustment. I selected the book by itself and tried to get it close to the book someon else posted from ebay. Then I adjusted the levels and did a bit of dodging around the kid's face. Regarding the uneven fading, I don't really see a dramatic area of uneveness. I also have the sun shining in my eyes so maybe it's just too bright in here to see it. It seems like the problem area is naturally going to be dark anyway because of the lighting of the original photo so I don't think it's really going to draw much attention to itself anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redboy.jpg (74.1 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2002, 01:02 AM

Here's a solution that uses just one set of curves. The curves are at http://hockinggraphics.com/stuff/colorcastUpld.acv .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color-castupld.jpg (70.0 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2003, 07:58 PM

After thinking about this awhile it makes me wonder if I dont have it backwards. Ive assumed the outer edges remained unchanged (relatively) and it was the center section that had the cast. It did have a need for color correction. However, usually it is the red inks that fade first and leave the remaining colors like blue or yellow. It may be that the outer edges were what faded leaving the bluish bricks (how many bricks do you see that are blue rather than red). Maybe its the outer edges that need the color added back in and corrected and the center section simply tone corrected.

Tex
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2003, 08:23 PM

My Attempt

The book was a find. I only color corrected using the primary color comparisons and think it is in a more workable format..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color cast 2.jpg (34.2 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching