RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

My first ever colorization

Old 08-28-2001, 12:48 PM

My first ever colorization

Well, with Susan's lead, I decided I needed to try a colorization. Something I never really thought about doing, but Susan inspired me. I decided to work on my grandparents' wedding photo. I've always loved the photo, but it is starting to yellow and needed a little touch-up work before I even got to the colorization.

I spent WAY too long doing this - about 6 hours total, I think. (Does practice help reduce that to less than an hour? I can't see people paying me for that much time just to colorize a photo.) I should have been reading Eisman's book instead (which may have given me some tips to reduce the amount of time I spent on it) or working on my business challenge entry. Instead, I spent hours analyzing and second guessing myself on skin tones, lips (what a pain in the butt!!) and hair color.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate feedback - esp. any comments on how it could be better. Thanks, Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gng wedding color final copy.jpg (19.5 KB, 313 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 12:59 PM

Nicely Done

Fantastic job!

The background looks nice, the skin tones are great, even the brass buttons glow! My only criticism is that her teeth look a bit blue. Other than that I am most impressed. In fact, you have inspired me, and I think I will have to try my hand at a colorization! And I must add, what a cute couple!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 01:06 PM

The teeth! Of course!! I didn't touch them with the colorization, so they're actually straight grayscale. But against everything else, they do look out of place. Well, I thought I was tired of working on it, but just one more little tweek couldn't hurt, huh? -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 01:07 PM
Janitor

It makes me feel so good to watch y'all inspire each other

This is a good colorization. Not even 'good for a first attempt'. Just plain old good

I do agree that the blues appear to be a bit prevalent. Overall a cold cast. Rather than toning down the blues, maybe crank up the saturation on the warm tones a tad? But not if it compromises those nice blues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 02:16 PM

OK, I lightened the teeth and increased saturation (too much?) on the faces/hair. (I've got so many different selections saved for this photo that it's easy to isolate just about any part in an instant.) Definite improvement! Thanks for the tips, T Paul and Doug.

I tried changing the background color to more of a pink to warm the overall picture tone, but it just didn't look as good. So, I think I'll stick with the blue background.

For those following this thread, I've attached the "new & improved" version. (Doug, please let me know if I attach too many pictures to my posts.)

Susan, as for the color of the brass - it was complete experimentation. Pure yellow looked fake, so I kept adding a little orange into the mix until "looked right" to my eyes. (I also played with the opacity quite a bit on ALL of the colors.)

Thanks for all of your encouragement! Now I eagerly await a response from my mother (whose parents these are.)

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gng wedding color final copy2.jpg (19.7 KB, 212 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 03:20 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Jeanie,

Your mother just called me. She is *VERY* impressed, as we all are. Excellent work!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 03:35 PM

Jeanie

Great job!!!! You really did superbly on the coloring. It looks like it was originally color. Keep up the good work girl. We need that kind of inspiration.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 03:57 PM

Jeanie,

The teeth look a lot more natural now. Nicely done. I am sure your mother will be thrilled with what you have done. In fact, you have given me some ideas for some gifts for my relatives.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 04:31 PM
Janitor

Good job, it looks great
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2001, 04:51 PM

my first ever

I think it looks great. Love the shot and love the color. Not overdone just right.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching