RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advise on Extreme Color Cast Correction

Old 03-18-2004, 10:54 PM

Flora, so **how** do you determine what adjustments to make to the image via selective color? What is your thought process as you go through the steps?

Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2004, 06:18 AM

Hi Scott,

All I read about 'Selective Colors' came from the Photoshop Help File. ....

Selective color correction is a technique used by high-end scanners and separation programs to increase and decrease the amount of process colors in each of the additive and subtractive primary color components in an image. Even though Selective Color uses CMYK colors to correct an image, you can use it on RGB images as well as on images that will be printed.

Selective color correction is based on a table that shows the amount of each process ink used to create each primary color. By increasing and decreasing the amount of a process ink in relation to the other process inks, you can modify the amount of a process color in any primary color selectively--without affecting any other primary colors. For example, you can use selective color correction to dramatically decrease the cyan in the green component of an image while leaving the cyan in the blue component unaltered.

All I learnt about 'Selective Colors' was by 'playing' with it again and again ....

How do I "determine what adjustments to make to the image via selective color? What is my thought process as I go through the steps?"

The answer to your questions is one and the same .... by looking at the picture ..... meaning .... are the colours flat? .... Does it still have a color cast? Are the colours very 'pale'?

If the answer to any of these questions is "Yes" for the overall picture... then I rather go for 'Color Balance'.... If it's "Yes" for parts of the image or for one or more colours only .... then I go for 'Selective Colors' .... The rest is just trial and error .....

Let me explain this using your version of the picture .... (hope you are not going to hate me....) where you managed to bring out the original colours very well ... but .... looking at it (my opinion only or my monitor maybe), I thought that the girl's face was a bit 'pale' and her skin had a light cyan cast... her arm was a tad too yellow in comparison with the rest of the skin colouring and also had a light cyan cast like the cat's face, ears and paws .... that's when I decided to use 'Selective Colors' as the first step ....

Still talking to me?

Last edited by Flora; 03-19-2004 at 06:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2004, 06:33 AM

Gary, Paul,

Thank you very much for your feedback!!!

Last edited by Flora; 03-19-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2004, 09:49 AM

I'LL NEVER SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN!

just kidding...

Your description is great. However, my feeble mind may need a long time to fully grasp the concept. Thanks for taking the time!

Scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2004, 11:07 AM

I'm very late to this party, and I'm no Flora, but here's my go at it...

My steps were:

Levels adjustment layer, working with each channel, to get rid of the overall color cast (per Katrin Eismann's technique).

Selective Color adjustment layer to very slight adjustments for removing a bit of green that resulted from the levels adjustment layer.

Hue/Sat adjustment layer (also with settings for individual colors)to bring out the colors.

It was a bit dark, so I copied the luminosity, inverted that selection to get the darker areas selected, copied that into a new layer, and set it to Screen blending mode. That brought out some of the details in the shadow areas.

Lance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorbalance-ver2-retouchpr.jpg (23.2 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching