RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colorizing...Just Curious

Old 10-21-2001, 01:22 PM

Not a Colorizing Book, no...

The entire book is not about colorizing, but there is a section on the technique I use to colorize, and I use it to describe my methodology for working with Blend If. There is a book review right here on the retouchpro.com site (Special Edition Using Photoshop 6: see http://www.retouchpro.com/reviews/lynch.html)...I try and cover the whole spectra of what Photoshop can do. Blend If is something I see as really imperative to colorizing, and like I said I think it is a little used -- and really poorly understood -- tool. I've seen actual printed books with the description of the tool as *useless* in blending...because it wouldn't blend a girls' face with a flower or something. Well, I wouldn't use a chainsaw to put icing on a cake either...

Blend If is another tool -- not superior to other things that work, but certainly a useful and viable option for applying color, patterns, etc. to specific tones (and even to specific colors). It takes some work to get used to. There are also pretty exacting ways to get good results by measuring tonal ranges with the eye-dropper and using those measurements to set the positions of the sliders. It is worth learning if you do retouching and colorization, and I think it simplifies a lot of what would otherwise be some pretty complex masking.

Glad there are several who found the tip useful. My suggestion would be to start simple with Blend If. The flag example was not an accident...The Italian, French, Colombian or US flag are good choices. Find examples on the internet and desaturate then recolor. Don't start with skin tones! Do those later when you've got the basics down. You'll find you can use some fairly artistic techniques, and potentially stronger color results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 02:39 PM

Thumbs down

Richard,
I never made the connection even though I've seen your book several times. Excellent reference material. Congrats on a fantastic publication and glad you joined us because as you can tell we can use all the knowledge we can get here and we are proverbial sponges for info. It does however, make me curious what someone good enough with Photoshop to write a bible on it would get out of this forum though. Not to belittle our members by any means because they are all talented people, but you have definately gone beyond most of our knowledge of Photoshop. I'm glad you found us interesting and I look forward to your insite. God do I look forward to your insite!! Keep the good advice flowing, we love it.
DJ

I just checked out your site and bookmarked it for Photoshop reference and tutorials. I think I am going there now to check it out more in depth.

Last edited by DJ Dubovsky; 10-21-2001 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 04:12 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Richard,

Looks like a nice site! I spent about 15 minutes or so checking it out, and I really liked what I saw. It earned a place on my bookmarks. Looks like I was the first one to post a question for you. Let's see if you can handle it.

One other thing. No fair visiting for a day or two then leaving! Now that we've got ya, we wanna pick your brain!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 04:20 PM
Janitor

Jeepers, DJ, I didn't know our site had a self-esteem problem

We get a wide range of visitors, both registered and as guests. I frequently see visitors from companies such as Canon and Polaroid. I'm glad someone of Richard's calibre finally de-cloaked, but he's by no means alone.

To quote myself: "Quite simply, RetouchPRO is a resource for anyone, professional or hobbyist, who is interested in photo restoration, retouching, and manipulation."

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 10-21-2001 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 05:19 PM

Aaaah come on Doug, you know I didn't mean it that way. I know there's some very talented people here and I love all you guys. However, it was kind a like meeting a celebrity here and I figured anyone who can write a bible on this Photoshop stuff is someone who's brain is in need of pickin and me and my buddy Ed here arn't too proud to pick away at a possible resource. Sorry gang if you thought I was saying you arn't of the highest caliber, cause in my book you all really are.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 05:33 AM

Ed,

It isn't the first question to ps6, no... But I think you have an answer (email). I've not had time to set up a searchable database to my liking -- I keep answering the questions and sending them to the people that ask, and sometimes post them on my listserver... There were some grand plans that keep getting interrupted by other work.

Mostly I have been using Q&A to get in touch with readers and users and see what they think is missing in most instructional books. I really want to have the time to get that working the way I'd like, but I might have to simplify my plan a little and just get them up.

But I'm off on a tangent now....

Do want to say I don't expect to be here for 2 days and then disappear. I may bug out now and again, but I like what I see so far. And the management is decent folk.

Feel free to pick...It's what I showed up for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 08:16 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That's great Richard! Thanks very much for your willingness to share. I'm sure we all appreciate it very much.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 08:56 AM

dj
now would be a good time for me to reveal my pen name and my book. oh i wish i could!

i saved a tutorial on the ps site from deke mclelland re blend if, it was amazing what he could do with it, but i have not figured out how to use it myself. this will be interesting

doug, when you said
"I frequently see visitors from companies such as Canon and Polaroid." does that mean you can tell who's here whether they're registered or not?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 11:21 AM
Janitor

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2001, 11:29 AM

you know what - as soon as i asked that i thought, you're just like those reporters you get so mad at - now exactly where are those troops and just what kind weapons do they have? you stay behind your curtain and twist those knobs and dials, i don't need to know, i'm just glad you're doing it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching