RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colorizing...Just Curious

Old 10-15-2001, 07:03 AM

Colorizing...Just Curious

I was curious as to which method all of you prefer when colorizing a black and white photo.

I've seen different steps on a selection:

Edit fill
Adjusting hue and saturation
Using the airbrush

I tried a comparison for myself using edit fill and comparing it to the airbrush set to color at about 40% and there is quite a difference.

Just curious as to which methods and perhaps some use several different ones on a picture depending on the effect.

Something to think about I guess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2001, 09:11 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Chris,

I've used all three ways to colorize. But I haven't done a lot of colorozing, so I'd be interested to see what others have to say. I know some of the people here have done super jobs on colorizing B&W's.

I'm a big fan of layer masks, and I use them on just about everything I do. With all the mistakes I make, the layer mask is a God send.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2001, 10:09 AM

I used to use the selection and hue/saturation with color checked to color but lately I switched to doing colors on seperate layers set to color blend mode. I think you get alot more control and can go back and fix it easier. It's the method Katrin was using in her book. Especially if you are not sure if you will want to change the color when all the other colors get applied. If you color by using selections on one layer, make sure you save those selections for later color corrections.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2001, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the responses DJ and Ed,

DJ I tried your method and you do have a lot more control and it does make it easier to go back and correct a selection if need be..wow...what a great thread this is for me as now I'm a lot more comfortable in colorizing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2001, 07:02 PM
Janitor

I use painting in color mode and the hue adjustment technique. When I know what I want, painting is fast and direct. If I'm feeling more experimental or don't quite know what will work best, I like the slider control that parades an endless array of choices.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 03:25 AM

Blend If

One option that I use all the time when recoloring (in combination with blend modes and layers) is Blend If. I detail a way to use this in my book for colorizing -- and in fact have an example of an image that I remove the original color from and restoe the color completely, using a pretty simple process.

The essence is this: You can create new layers and target color to specific tonal ranges by using blend if. This lets you apply color in NORMAL mode (and use opacity) rather than COLOR or HUE (or other modes), which can wash out based on tone. For example, if there is an area of a flag that you want to be red, and it shows against what should be a blue sky, and the tones are say 40% gray for the flag and 12% for the sky, you can just create a layer, target the application to 35-45% gray, use a big-ol' brush and paint the area of the flag (sloppily even) and depend on the Blend If to keep the color out of the sky. Next, you create another layer that targets the 12% gray, and paint in the blue for the sky.

This is good because it allows you to still use all your other features (layers, modes, masks, freehand tools, and selection) but forces the color to behave and attach itself to specific areas of the tonality.

I've used this in situations where the color of an image was just ruined, yet there was enough in the image to rebuild the tone in B&W. I've been able to remove color from regular color images and re-apply it so that it is better than the original (it is another option for dealing with stains: select, copy, paste, desaturate, create a grouped layer in Normal mode, target the tones with blend-if and freehand paint or stamp).

Blend If is a powerful and often ignored tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 07:00 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Richard,

That's an interesting approach to colorizing. I have it saved for future reference. I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 10:19 AM

Thumbs down

Richard
Thanks for the great tip. I'm not sure I ever knew about blend if so I can't wait to try it out. I saved it to my collection of great Photoshop tips. Love getting new ideas and tools to try out.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the post Richard.

I'm going to have to try this method out. I always like learning new ways to do different things as it seems like each method produces just a little different output.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2001, 11:10 AM

Richard you mentioned you deatiled this in your book on colorizing...have you written a book on colorizing?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching