RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Could any one please take a look at this?

Old 11-02-2004, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwar
Im very interested in your post earlier in this thread. Post #14. Could you explain a little more about how you did those steps in the 2nd half of the post?
Hi, cedwar,
As you asked about the second half, I'm going to assume that you're OK with the first half.
The idea of the second half is to perform the subtraction operation. As far as I know, (please, please correct me if wrong) there are two ways to subtract channel values. One would be by Image>Calculations and the other would be (as shown) by inverting the channel to be subtracted, and mixing and half and half with the original. If the two were equal we'd have just mid gray, but any difference, postive or negative, will show up as lighter or darker.
Doing Image>Calculations in this particular case will work fine too. The difference is that this way you don't have (as far as I know, again) the oportunity to fine-tune the mix.
We need a final levels fix because we are looking at just the remainders of a subtraction so, instead of having the full 256 gray levels, we ended up with a couple of dozens at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwar
I have a picture with a LOT of noise and want to try what you suggest there.
OK, but remember that this something that worked only in this specific case where the original (yellowed) and the noise (silver / gray) had significantly different characteristics that could be used to separate them.

Have fun,
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ele
......then the image info could be adjusted with straight line adjustments in curves without changing the brightness of the noise making the layers different .....
Hi, Roger,
Not sure I really understood that, but I think we're on the same track - sometimes we can "attack" the noise, cancelling out it's effects, instead of just trying to minimize the damage with some well-directed blurring.
Just have to try to not "Throw out the baby with the bath water" - do people really still say that???

Cheers,
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2004, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniesworld
Great results, I tried to follow, but did not receive the same results. It sure would be great if you could do a tutorial on it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it sure worked great for you.
Maybe the channel math way (Image>Calculations) will get you there quicker.

Don't really think this is stuff for a tutorial, more of a one-off fluke than a general method. If it comes up again then - I O U 1 tutorial, OK?

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2004, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Don't really think this is stuff for a tutorial, more of a one-off fluke than a general method. If it comes up again then - I O U 1 tutorial, OK?

No problem, I see what you mean, thanks for the technique. I'll experiment some more on it latter.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching