RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Digital photos underexposed

Old 01-14-2005, 09:19 AM

Digital photos underexposed

Hi All,
I got to fix 536 images - input levels less than 100.
The method I used was recording an action Levels/
Hue saturation/Curves/Color balance. Is this a good
approach. Or should this be done using layers.
Thanks for your help.
Mart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before-and-after.jpg (60.8 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Marten Don; 01-14-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 09:45 AM

The problem you will encounter when using an action on such a project is the variety of problems that each image may present, so as you can imagine, each picture will no doubt have to be approached slightly differntly than the one before.

You may be able to automate some of the images, but i'm sure you will encounter a variety of issues along the way.

Personally i would make a selection of actions,each with a slighty different settings and sort the images out in to categories according to requirements, that way you 'may' save some time, but i fear you are going to have to just get down and put some good old blood, sweat and tears into it. I'm affraid to be totally honest it is something that cannot be rushed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 11:15 AM

When I've been given a really bad batch of images, I tend to run an action that adds a auto levels (monochromatic adjustment only) layer, and saves as a psd. I then use to file browser to select images that need similar adjustments, and run an action on those to, for example, lighten all the midtones to 1.2.

Once that's done, I then go through the file browser to make final adjustments to ones that need it. It depends on how well they need to be done, but if time saving is a necessity, but quality is still an issue, then that may be the way to go. Once I've adjusted them as far as I need to, I then flatten them all for rearchiving.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 12:54 PM

I would definitely do it with layers so that you can then later non-destructively go in and tweak those that don't respond to your standard fix. Personally I would also be inclined to follow v. bampton's method, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 12:41 AM

I'm not sure how I'd approach fixing the problem, better I leave that to the more qualified but I think I know how to avoid it in the future. I think the WB was set wrong. If these were RAW images, no problem, correct in ACR as is lots of work.

I think when shooting under this mixed HID lighting you can only make life easy by paying attn to White Balance.

Now I think of it I've done the same mix up at some of my kids games and usually it was just way darker than it seemed.

Good Luck
Robert Collins
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axleuk
The problem you will encounter when using an action on such a project is the variety of problems that each image may present, so as you can imagine, each picture will no doubt have to be approached slightly differntly than the one before.

You may be able to automate some of the images, but i'm sure you will encounter a variety of issues along the way.

Personally i would make a selection of actions,each with a slighty different settings and sort the images out in to categories according to requirements, that way you 'may' save some time, but i fear you are going to have to just get down and put some good old blood, sweat and tears into it. I'm affraid to be totally honest it is something that cannot be rushed.
Axleuk
The pictures were shot in a steady overcast light within about two hours.
I was lucky that for most of them I could use the same settings. Although
some darker pictures appear with a pointillism affect. Whether these can
be salvaged or not I will see.
I was hoping for a quick fix but you're right that some pictures have their
own requirments. Whether these can be salvaged I have yet to see. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.bampton
When I've been given a really bad batch of images, I tend to run an action that adds a auto levels (monochromatic adjustment only) layer, and saves as a psd. I then use to file browser to select images that need similar adjustments, and run an action on those to, for example, lighten all the midtones to 1.2.

Once that's done, I then go through the file browser to make final adjustments to ones that need it. It depends on how well they need to be done, but if time saving is a necessity, but quality is still an issue, then that may be the way to go. Once I've adjusted them as far as I need to, I then flatten them all for rearchiving.
v.bampton
The advice on chosing the "monochromatic adjustment only" in levels is right on! Many thanks for this.
mdon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 02:40 AM

Glad to hear it - fixing that many pictures in a hurry certainly sharpens your colour correction skills!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching